Boiler "Immediately Dangerous" on flue external CO

A flue that is corroded will allow the combustion products to be recycled causing a poor burn and producing even more carbon monoxide, that will kill you
The kind of co levels likely to occur with a corroded flue will kill you in less than an hour.
Did you call the engineer to thank him for possibly saving your life?
I'm a bit puzzled by this. I understand that if the flue is corroded internally between the post combustion air and the boiler air supply, some transfer will occur, but as no reference is made to the failure of the external flue being corroded, how would it get into your home and kill you? I thought boilers were room sealed?

I'm not questioning for a minute the decision to disconnect an unsafe boiler, just my enquiring mind wondering about the technical aspect.

Sponsored Links
Its unlikely that your boiler will produce a field strength in excess of 300 volts per metre!

But its At Risk or Immediately dangerous because of the corroded flue!

There is always a possibility of getting a replacement flue fitted if you really don't want to replace an old appliance!

Tony

Its unlikely that your boiler will produce a field strength in excess of 300 volts per metre

What does that have to do with the price of fish??? :?:

CO measured in volts now is it?

Instead of bleating on about being pressured into a new boiler.

How about showing some gratitude towards the guy for potentially saving you and your family from a potential tragedy?

really sticks in my craw when the default position from homeowners is that they are being fleeced.

Anne BLo0dy Robinson has a lot to answer for a long with that dick Allbright.

Your post stands out because the others provided information whereas you just griped about us "Homeowners". You seem to be a long-standing member so I have to say I'm disappointed (although the language of your response seems to be fairly typical of this forum)

You may not like the tone of my post but it doesn't make it any less accurate. As I said. It is blo0dy annoying to have your trade constantly under suspicion.

What would you have done had he not checked the emissions and someone ended up in hospital?

Well no, I've not thanked him yet, but I certainly will when they come back to fit the new one next week. It's a good thing that this has been discovered, IMO

Why would someone have ended up in hospital? If the boiler is venting excess CO into the outside, why is this "immediately dangerous". There is no evidence of combustion products getting into the property.

Note I am not questioning the rules as this has been well explained by others, but I am asking you to be professional and explain why this situation is truely immediately dangerous. For example, can excess CO / improper combustion lead to an explosion? Or a NG leak? Or does it produce other gasses which are more dangerous than CO? See I don't know the answer to this, but I'm sure you do, so will you tell me?

Sponsored Links
The boiler is operating incorrectly and that's classed as being unsafe.

It can also cause the boiler to explode in some cases because the gas does not ignite correctly and unburnt gas mixture can build up inside the combustion chamber and then ignite explosively which can cause the casing up burst.

Tony

icychris";p="2784996 said:
Instead of bleating on about being pressured into a new boiler.

How about showing some gratitude towards the guy for potentially saving you and your family from a potential tragedy?

really sticks in my craw when the default position from homeowners is that they are being fleeced.

Anne BLo0dy Robinson has a lot to answer for a long with that dick Allbright.

Your post stands out because the others provided information whereas you just griped about us "Homeowners". You seem to be a long-standing member so I have to say I'm disappointed (although the language of your response seems to be fairly typical of this forum)

You may not like the tone of my post but it doesn't make it any less accurate. As I said. It is blo0dy annoying to have your trade constantly under suspicion.

What would you have done had he not checked the emissions and someone ended up in hospital?

Note I am not questioning the rules as this has been well explained by others, but I am asking you to be professional and explain why this situation is truely immediately dangerous. For example, can excess CO / improper combustion lead to an explosion? Or a NG leak? Or does it produce other gasses which are more dangerous than CO? See I don't know the answer to this, but I'm sure you do, so will you tell me?[/quote]

Why did you not ask your engineer this at the time, rather than coming on here to ask... because you doubted his decision in the first place ?

No one cares about your radio 4 certification. As pointed out already what is the difference between AR and ID?

I was attempting to make the point that I *understand* implicitly that these rules are required - so that people don't get hurt. I'm sorry that passed you by in your haste to be sarcastic. (But since you've already told me that a high *external* vent CO level will "kill me in less than an hour", I'm not at all convinced by your ability to use reasoning)

The reason for the ID already been answered by your colleagues above, which is as per the rules in force.

Out of interest, do you have a carbon monoxide detector near the boiler and if not, why not?

I didn't, but I will do before the new one gets fitted. Why was becasue I hadn't thought about it, which I accept wasn't sensible.

Thanks for mentioning it :)

[quote="icychris";p="2784996

Why did you not ask your engineer this at the time, rather than coming on here to ask... because you doubted his decision in the first place ?

I never said I hadn't asked. I think the phrase I'm looking for is "Corroborating evidence". I apologise if the forum didn't appreciate being used for this purpose, but I found it very helpful.

Funnily, I sense a real hatred of people coming on here and doing this (i.e. cross-checking what other members of your trade have said and done). I would have thought you would welcome it as it makes it easier to identify the people who drag your reputation down?

Perhaps it odd?

But we only get people asking about questioning a decision like this when something has been turned off and expenditure on a new appliance is needed.

In many cases its following a statement that parts are not available. In many of those cases we are able to say that the parts can be obtained.

We never get people who question if its really safe to leave something switched on!

Tony

A flue that is corroded will allow the combustion products to be recycled causing a poor burn and producing even more carbon monoxide, that will kill you
The kind of co levels likely to occur with a corroded flue will kill you in less than an hour.
I'm a bit puzzled by this. I understand that if the flue is corroded internally between the post combustion air and the boiler air supply, some transfer will occur, but as no reference is made to the failure of the external flue being corroded, how would it get into your home and kill you? I thought boilers were room sealed?

I'm not questioning for a minute the decision to disconnect an unsafe boiler, just my enquiring mind wondering about the technical aspect.

Very true it's a room sealed appliance, but that makes zero difference if it's burning incomplete. If there's big yellow flames or a high readings it has to be shut off and investigated. You could get a leak of products coming back into the house via the wall cavity, an open window, a break in the case seal etc.

It has to go off until it can be fixed or replaced.

Out of interest, do you have a carbon monoxide detector near the boiler and if not, why not?

I didn't, but I will do before the new one gets fitted. Why was becasue I hadn't thought about it, which I accept wasn't sensible.

Thanks for mentioning it :)

Except it shouldn't be in the same room as the appliance.

Ps, if the inner flue is corroded, there's a very good chance CO can escape into the room.

I seem to remember on my CO detector course that the detector should be in the same room as the appliance!

What use would it be in the garage?

Anyone can fit a CO detector. In fact in their own house they can put it where they like!

But a gas reg person needs to have taken an assessment on where to fit them and to fit them according to the instructions!

I hope that Doitall moves his to the recommended position in the room where his Intergas boiler is fitted!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back