Boiler inspections. Heating noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been getting an annual inspection on our Vaillant ecotec28 for some years now, partly to keep up warranty and partly to do the right thing.

We just had a recent boiler service and I noticed that the condensate trap wasn't cleaned. Is that an issue? Should it not be cleaned?

Also, all of the sudden, one of the heaters upstairs (two story house, ground and first floor) has started making noise when the boiler is on. It's an infrequent not so loud thud (like if I tapped the heater gently with a hammer). I don't suppose this is related? They didn't go through the rest of the house, and I didn't touch the heater (I think).

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan.

About the heater: I think it just got knock a bit and that was noise of it banging on the bolts it is hanging from (I live on a main street).

I don't know what a stainless HEX is, but I will take your word for it. How frequently does that need to be cleaned? Currently, it has a little bit of black sediment at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Aluminium boilers are a lot different.

Last week I went to this lovely Chinese lady who had a four year old Worcester boiler.

It had never been serviced and the condensate trap was blocked solid!

Tony

Can I see if the condensate trap is blocked without opening the boiler? I can see the trap underneath the boiler. The water looks mainly clear with a little bit of black condensate at the bottom.

If the condensate trap is blocked the boiler will switch itself off, the thud you hear on the radiator is likely to be the TRV closing

If the condensate trap is blocked the boiler will switch itself off, the thud you hear on the radiator is likely to be the TRV closing

just looked up what a TRV is. How do I check if that's it? is it a problem?

OK. So I guess I will ask the next time the boiler gets serviced to empty the trap. But, just for my curiosity, does it block when it fills up with condensate?

no TRV is thermostatic radiator valve , the one with the numbers on at one side of the radiator, remove the sensor head and see if this stops the noise and if it does then it is certainly that

At a service if there is any deposit the engineer will clean out the condensate trap.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back