Boiler keeps running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just seeing if there's anything I can do about a problem with my boiler (Baxi Solo PF2).

Over the last few days as the house gets warmer, the boiler doesn't cut out as it should. It's usually after an hour or so of the heating being on & initially the boiler will cut in & cut out as it normally would for the 1st hour, but then will often stay on & not cut out until the water in the CH pipes & radiators gets so hot it boils over into the overflow tank. (F&E tank?)

At this point the room thermostat temperature hasn't been reached. It's a vented, pumped system, I think these are the right terms.

Any ideas what is causing this? Any other information needed?

Sponsored Links
Get a registered gas fitter in, and quickly.
Not only do you have a malfunctioning boiler, but your second line of defence, the safety device, has not activated and it has allowed your boiler to boil the heating water.
If the boiler were otherwise OK and an external device kept calling for heat then the boiler safety would prevent this.

Now, imagine a plastic 4 gallon tank in the loft full of nearly boiling water, the plastic wibbly-wobbly and ready to split. Imagine you sleep in the room under it, or the baby's cot is right below it. Now stop imagining, do something now!

Thanks for that, though I may have over dramatised the issue as I meant to say 'occasionally' stays on & doesn't cut out rather than 'often'. Also only a small amount of hot water flows into the F&E tank & doesn't get near to filling up & turning the boiler thermostat down to 0 stops the overheating.

The tank is easily accessible & is over a cupboard below, not a bedroom fortunately. I just wondered if there was some sort of sensor for the boiler thermostat that might be the cause of the issue?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back