Boiler lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im wondering if anyone can help me solve a problem with my boiler as i dont know much about them. Ive only just moved into a rented house and it has a "Sauvier Duval" boiler. Today the heating won't come on and there is also no hot water. I cant seem to get the boiler to light. When i press the on button or turn on a hot water tap i can hear a fan but still no light. The pressure looks to be bang on 1 - is that too low?

I dont have a manual but checked their website and it looks similar to a "thelia" model - ie quite old with no digital display or apparent reset button!

Is there anything I can do?Will bleeding my radiators help?

Any suggestions welcome

Sponsored Links
surely if it is a rented house it is up to the landlord to get it fixed?

yeh get the landlord on to it lazy wosit

in the mean time you have a large button on a theilia( if memory serves long time since I locked horns with one) press the bottom one and you will hear all the whistles and bells go off
hold it untill you hear clicking and look in the viewer untill you see the pilot light come on, hold for a further 30 secs and release

If the pilot is still on HOOORAY

If not get on to the landlord and pray he has a suanier duval trained op on his books as they are a total git to repair I know spent three days in derby at gloworm training on them "Shiver"

I cant get hold of the letting agency tonight unfortunately - thats why i was trying to sort it out myself.

cheers for the advice but i've already tried that tactic with holding the button in with no luck!

Sponsored Links
cheers for trying. i think the ignition is probably knackered, better get a plumber in.

Hi.

Sounds like a similar problem to what I have.

I have an Ideal FF50 condensing boiler and have had it for 4 fustrating years!

Each April and Oct (no joke) it fails to light for about 3 wks. It can sometimes take 30+ manual attempts with the rotary dial to get it to light.
Sometimes I get fed up and give up.

When it starts to play up, I give it a service/check...

Clean out exchanger
Check for sparking
Check position/condition of spark electrodes
Test burner pressure 8.6mB hot
Test differential fan pressure - OK
Test incoming pressure
Check dry fire sensor etc - all OK
On refit ensure sense pipe is properly sealed

But it still fails to light even after service!
I don't think a five attempt control PCB would help me!
I've tried slight over-gasing and under-gasing - still refuses to light.
I've tried adjusting the pilot screw (but I don't think this does anything on this model as there is no pilot!).

Both gas valve solenoids are being driven and you can hear a clicking noise as the larger lower solenoid gets powered.

But no gas! Have a got a lazy valve or blocked jet of some sort?

My girlfriend goes mad at this time of the year when she gets up and its cold lol!

In 2wks the boiler will be OK again for 5 months! Bizarre!

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Nick

WOW are you CORGI registered??

Cos if you have done all that you have described you should be

this is a Forum for jobs that can be accomplished safely by untrained but keen individuals unfortunately the law of the lands states that the work you describe has having done MUST be undertaking by a COMPETENT person

I would advise you contact a qualified engineer ASAP to rectify your problem. Others on this forum may think differently

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back