Boiler Losing Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vokera Synergy condenser boiler which loses pressure. Every 4 weeks the boiler will lose 1bar pressure and shut down. The central heating system was only installed on 16.12.2005 but the installer is ignoring my requests for him to call and fix the boiler. The boiler has always lost pressure. Initially it would shut down every 4 days.

I have been advised that the drop in pressure over 4 weeks is unacceptable and may cause damage to the boiler. Can anyone explain what would be the damage. As I now face taking legal action against this installer I need to be sure of my facts.

Sponsored Links
You need to establish whether the leak is as a result of the installer's work, or a pre-existing condition. If the latter, I don't think you have much of a claim against the installer.

Have you checked the usual suspects like the PRV discharge pipe, the AAV and the radiator valve spindles? If you knew where the leak was, you'd be making some progress.

well if he didnt put all the pipework I would say you would have a hard job pinning it on him

you have a leak somewhere, check the pipe from the boiler that is, usually, pointed towards the wall.

checkk all the rad valves, they sometimes leak.

failing that spend 4000 on a hand held thermal imaging camera (or hire one its cheaper;) ) and look for a large mass of hot water under your floor.

If he just installed your boiler and that is not leaking, why would you sue him??? bit harsh that, it a bit silly of him ignoring your calls, and did he say that you may experiance leakage on old pipework??

Why does the installer say he is ignoring your requests?

Was it an open vented boiler before or another pressurised one?

Continual repressurisation over a period of time will result in the new oxygen introduced each time rusting the inside of the rads and causing debris which can block parts of the boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys, I should have been clearer about this. He replaced all the old plastic piping with copper piping and replaced the old boiler and radiators. The old system was an open vented system.

Since the installation I have had loads of problems. Initially he connected part of the pipework up to the hot water supply and the heating kept cutting out. It took him 3 weeks to discover this cock up. The original pressure problem apparently was a problem with the pipe connections into the manifold under the floor. All in all the company have made 8 visits to the house on the installation over a period of 2 months. I guess they are ignoring my calls because they are either a bunch of cowboys or their not prepared to put any more effort into sorting the issue. They have not given me a reason for not calling. When I phone they simply tell me that they will call back to make arrangements, but after 3 weeks of calling them I kind of think they are ignoring me.

I have checked the discharge valve and it is OK. There is slight dampness on one TRV but not so much as to create a drip. I tested this by leaving some paper towel beneath it while the heating was both on and off. The floor beneath has never been wet. What's the AAV?

From what you say, I understand that repressurisation every 4 weeks is unacceptable?

then sue the arse of them

they have left a leak some where and it is their problem to sort it out

they replaced the pipes they should sort it out, grr I hate plumbers like this we all make mistakes but what seperates the tradeMEN from the yippee kai yayy's is how we sort them.

if you get no joy inform your local trading standards that you have given this firm a reasonable amount of time to rectify their errors, a letter from them usually gets things moving, if no joy from them talk to CAB and I am sure they will suggest getting another firm to sort out the problem then you can claim against the first firm thought the small claims court.

Either way they loose

Thanks, corgiman. That's exactly the stage that I am at now. Notice has been given to them to make good the fault and if they do not then another contracter will be brought in and a small claim raised. As you say, the hope is that once the Trading Standards folk get involved, maybe they will buckle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back