Boiler not firing for hot water (ok for heating)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As of this morning, my oil fired boiler isn't firing up for hot water.

Checking heating, which had otherwise been turned off for summer, it fires up fine, but no response at all for hot water.

Before I call someone up, is there any likely culprit I can check or replace myself?

I recall changing a synchron motor switch in my previous house for what may have been the same, or similar, issue (hard to remember: 10 years ago)

Sponsored Links
Need a bit more info about your boiler and heating/hot water system.

Need a bit more info about your boiler and heating/hot water system.
I'm a bit of a novice...

The boiler is a floor-standing Worcester. Not especially new. It's downstairs. There's a hot water tank in the attic (with an immersion heater I can use whilst the boiler isn't heating water - so not an emergency here).

What info is needed?

Boiler model, what valves you have (normally found near the cylinder but can be anywhere )and a few pics always helps.

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking, the time clock (programmer) sends a voltage to the thermostat strapped to the HW cylinder. The thermostat then sends a voltage to a valve to open the pipe that heats the HW. When this valve opens it then sends a voltage to the boiler and pump which fire up to heat the water.
Just follow this logic to see which part is not doing its job. Its usually the valve.

When heating is switched on, the left Honeywell switch kicks into life and the boiler fires. With hot water, I imagine the right one is supposed to do its job, but there's no action.

As a cheap starting point, presumably replacing the synchron motor in there is a good option? Can the motor be changed on these without disconnecting the pipes?

In answer to your question, the synchron motor is easily changed. Simply remove the silver top cover and the rest is fairly straight forward. Work with care and isolate electrical supply B4 attempting the work. A multimeter is a useful aid. The 2 wires that supply the motor can be fitted either way round. The kit will have new connectors supplied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back