Boiler not firing up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler: ancient Crane Cavalier with honeywell gas control valve. I want to keep it until I redo my kitchen next year (and while it was working, why change?).

I recently cut off the gas to my boiler in order to remove a gas fire. When I tried to fire up the boiler again it did so without a problem. As the boiler is old and not serviced since I moved in 6 months ago there is a lot of dust in there so I set to it hoovering inside the housing. This obviously starved the pilot of oxygen and sucked it out (durh).

WHen I tried to start the boiler the pilot wasn't stayin in when I removed my finger off the valve, When I finally got it to (I don't think the element was heating enough) and turned it to 'on' the boiler fired up on full power all jets going. Overnight it went out as did the pilot.

Now I can get the pilot on but the boiler isn't firing up. any suggetions?
Power is on as pump is going, top 'off-timed-constant' switch works as I've had it open and checked.

Also the electrics have been bodged by the previous owner and I wouldn't mind rewiring it as I think it might be a dud circuit. But the absence of any diagrams is putting me off. Does anyone know what the wiring should look like?

Sponsored Links
It's working.

After playing with electrics all night last night. My final solution and perhaps what I should have done first was to hit the Honeywell gas valve with a large screwdriver a few times in special places known as 'boiler chakra points!'

Would appreciate any suggestions as to were I could source a wiring diagram though? I know there are basic modern wiring diagrams but this thing was made as a complete unit in a factory so much of the electrics are well disguised. particularly without a diagram.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back