boiler oil pipe earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently noticed there is no earthing on my oil pipe which feeds the boiler. Am i right in saying that i need to run a 10mm earth cable from the oil pipe to the consumer unit? if so do i attach the earth cable on the oil pipe on the inside of the property or on the outside of the property?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes you need bonding on your incoming oil pipe, 10mm earth cable back to your earth block on fuseboard (difficult if on other side of house!)
If its microbore (10mm diameter copper), be careful not to over tighten the screw on the soft pipe. Some boilers have two pipes if you have a tigerloop device, you would bond both.
Attach within 60mm from entry inside your house.

Sponsored Links
Please note that normal pipe clamps are not made for 10mm pipe!!!

The only way to do it properly is either to have a solder joint or to get an oil heating engineer to stick a piece of 15mm in (either way you will need the heating bod to drain the supply pipe!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back