Boiler over gasing - possible???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
My meter has gone nuts over winter to the tune of 100 quid a week in gas usage! I had the boiler moved in Nov, butave had the boiler for 5 years or so - Bosch 24i junior.
It's been awesome until now.

I tried turning all the gas appliances off and watching the meter for a while. No movement, so no leak that would contribute to this.

I turned all the gas hobs on and watched meter - red dial moved about 1 section every minute.

Turned the boiler on and the dial goes nuts.

Can they over gas?
I am waiting for my gas man, but would like to have a little ifo before he arrives.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh please!!!
100 quid a week is a massive amount of gas usage when most houses around here are 60 quid a month, so it is scientific enough in this instance!
If there was a leak of sufficient magnitude to cause this, then the meter would be constantly moving!!!
Have you got anything useful to contribute????

You dont check for leaks by watching the test dial at the meter.Gas rating your boiler is done at the meter and can be done using a stopwatch.Mehod depends on type of meter you have.Leave it to your RGI to test rate and to confirm boiler was set up correctly.

Sponsored Links
No??
If gas is leaking at this sort of rate, where do you think it will be recorded? At the meter maybe?

It's like you all think gas is an art - it's just basic gas flow and i'm just asking some basic questions, so if you are not prepared to answer them, please don't comment.
It's not like i'm going to start undoing gas lines.......... :rolleyes:

And as I said - the gas man will come......

Hoooooooooo, big vic and bob handbags, of course gas is an art, that is why we have to do exams over and over and over and over at great expense and stress, well that is what some blokes in suits have told us, so it must be true, we dont make putty willys anymore, we are gas technicians, just like computers will save you loads of time, well that is in between dll errors and freezing and virus's and updates and loss of network and and ..............................................

huw your attitude stinks, don't expect help with your attitude, it is very unlikely that a gas leak would cause the meter dial to move, it would take a severed gas pipe to do that, and by then it would be obvious from the smell of gas that you had a problem, a dripping tap wont cause a water meter to move, but as it is constant over a period of time your water usage is greatly increased, if you suspect a problem you must switch off the gas supply until PRESSURE TESTED by a RGI, anfd the boiler should be checked for gas rate at the same time ;)

assuming you do not have a gas leak ??? , assuming that your gas bill is correct ?? & the meter is accurate ??? u would need to gas rate your boiler , to see if it is over gassed.

Lovely. Come on at least suck in some air through your teeth and tell him he's going to need a second mortgage to pay for this one. Do you wonder why your profession is fast catching up 2nd hand car salesmen?

Huw asked a question about where all the gas was going. All he got was sarcasm and abuse. He even made the effort to narrow down the problem to the boiler for you, at least be civil about it.

Turn your bath hot tap on full. Then, with a stop watch, accurately time how long it takes for the red dial to do one whole revolution (assuming, by dial, you mean like a clock hand). Divide 1092 by this reading. You should end up with a figure of just over 24. Do NOT remove the boiler case either way to fiddle/investigate, cease using the appliance and call an RGI. If you suspect you may have a leak on the system, turn off the gas at the mains and get an RGI.

Lovely. Come on at least suck in some air through your teeth and tell him he's going to need a second mortgage to pay for this one. Do you wonder why your profession is fast catching up 2nd hand car salesmen?

Huw asked a question about where all the gas was going. All he got was sarcasm and abuse. He even made the effort to narrow down the problem to the boiler for you, at least be civil about it.

What line of work are you into ianniann , genuine interest , u seem quite well imformed on certain subject's ?????

ianniann, geegas, transam - thanks for your sensible comments to my question. My red dial does a full revolution in 40 seconds. 1092/40=27.3. A little high maybe and I have no intention of undoing anything.
Many thanks
Huw

Boilerman2 - my attidude was a direct response to 2 very unhelpful posts. (45yearsagasman and twgas). You 3 might want to consider your own 'attidudes' first.

You dont check for leaks by watching the test dial at the meter.Gas rating your boiler is done at the meter and can be done using a stopwatch.Mehod depends on type of meter you have.Leave it to your RGI to test rate and to confirm boiler was set up correctly.
If you found my comments un helpful then I apologise.They were in direct response to your original post.Everything I said is accurate.At no time did anyone suggest you may try to undo anything.Thats just standard advice given to all non RGI's.Good luck with your fault. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back