Boiler overflow pipe fitting regulations (vents to neighbour)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new build property in England. One of my walls is on the boundary line with the property next door which is still under construction. The property next door is detached, there is a pathway between the two properties which is owned by the propert next door.

My boiler has an overflow pipe which goes through this wall overhanging the path for the property next door.

The developer has said that they put the pipe in the wrong place and it convtravenes building regulations so they need to move the overflow pipe so it overhangs my property. This apparently wasn't picked up by the assessor that came round.

This is both annoying in terms of being without water for a while and an eyesore for the back of my property.

I have a feeling that the person buying the property next door doesn't like it and wants it moved rather than there being a regulation issue.

Questions:
1. Is there actually a regulations issue here?
2. Any other issues at play here that I need to consider?

Sponsored Links
I have a new build property in England. One of my walls is on the boundary line with the property next door which is still under construction. The property next door is detached, there is a pathway between the two properties which is owned by the propert next door.

My boiler has an overflow pipe which goes through this wall overhanging the path for the property next door.

The developer has said that they put the pipe in the wrong place and it convtravenes building regulations so they need to move the overflow pipe so it overhangs my property. This apparently wasn't picked up by the assessor that came round.

This is both annoying in terms of being without water for a while and an eyesore for the back of my property.

I have a feeling that the person buying the property next door doesn't like it and wants it moved rather than there being a regulation issue.

Questions:
1. Is there actually a regulations issue here?
2. Any other issues at play here that I need to consider?
A blow-out valve full of scalding water is not something you aim onto your neighbours path, no.
It needs moving, pronto.
As for an eyesore - lol.

A blow-out valve full of scalding water is not something you aim onto your neighbours path, no.
It needs moving, pronto.
As for an eyesore - lol.
I didn't aim it anywhere, the developer did this (or their contractors)
I had no idea this was for significant amounts of hot water, google told me you'd get a dribble at best - thanks.
By moving it onto my property it would be moving it to a significantly MORE pedestrain area given its right by the backdoor to the garden.

I can't tell by the response, are you saying there is a regulations issue or just offering an opinion?

Thanks

I didn't aim it anywhere, the developer did this (or their contractors)
I had no idea this was for significant amounts of hot water, google told me you'd get a dribble at best - thanks.
By moving it onto my property it would be moving it to a significantly MORE pedestrain area given its right by the backdoor to the garden.

I can't tell by the response, are you saying there is a regulations issue or just offering an opinion?

Thanks
Statutory nuisance. Probably against Gas Safe regs too.

Sponsored Links
You are certainly not entitled to allow any kind of flow of water or air/gas over the neighbours property. Providing it is safe I don't think it's a specific regulation, but it would constitute a nuisance, which could come back on you at any time in the future. My advice is allow the contractor to sort it now while they are still around.

It needs moving, pronto.
As for an eyesore - lol.
do you also write articles for the Daily Mail?

Ok, there have been enough responses that say it needs to be moved.

Next question, currently its above head height, maybe 7ft from the floor. Is there a reason/regulation for that?....can it be piped so that it comes through the wall 1.5ft from the ground - roughly inline with where the hose connection is?

I guess you would rather find a reason not to have it moved, but to be honest It needs to be on your own property and in a location where it will not cause injury, but it's up to your gas Safe engineer to work out the best solution.
You definitely can't discharge over the boundary and it will need to be accessible for checking as part of your service.
I'm not sure on the rules on visibility, but it's useful if it's somewhere that you notice regularly in case it's dripping, before the boiler stops work.

Regarding the height 7ft is also not compliant although it may be directed back onto the wall to reduce the risk, it should be low enough to not scald anyone below, ideally knee height in my opinion

The plumbing section is full of people who will know the actual regs though.

Boilers do not have "overflow pipes" as you call it, what you are referring to is the pressure releif valve termination, it should be turned back so that the outlet is facing your wall, the gap between the outlet and your wall should be a min of the diameter of the pipe, usually 15mm, if the valve discharges all the heat and energy from the discharged water is absorbed by your wall, no min height, and no reg that says you cant to this on your own wall

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
So it’s actually the boiler flue. I googled what that is, it’s basically where all the toxic stuff comes out.

I looked at the manual for my boiler and it basically says it can only go in one place based on my house, and even then it’s touch and go. There is a velux window roughly 2m directly above where the flue would go (it’s a window on the side of the house that opens from the bottom) so I’m a little worried that all the toxic stuff that we are trying to get out the house is going to come straight back in.

After the work is complete what should I be asking for in terms of certification that the work is within regulations and safe?

Yeah kinda accepted that it has to be moved…i guess I was asking for what I need to make sure happens so that it is compliant with building and safety regs. Should I be getting some kind of certificate?

Mainly worried that they aren’t moving it to the correct place (because there is nowhere to move it), so want to get something that shows it’s signed off officially, but don’t know what to ask for

If the boiler is refitted in a new location you should get them to fill out the benchmark according to new location ,readings etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back