Boiler pipe leaking, should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a pic of my current boiler setup...

https://ibb.co/TqhxKqT

Since I've moved into this property a few months ago, there has been a constant leak from that pipe marked in red in the picture above.

This doesn't affect the boiler pressure as I've not had to top up the pressure since I've lived here.

I'm interested to know...
  1. What this pipe is for?
  2. Is it a concern?
  3. Should it be capped off/re-routed?

Sponsored Links
Artboard Large.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I believe it is from the "Safety Valve Discharge" - so if the water is really leaking from there (and not rising damp!), it may need some further investigation from an RGI - where does the outlet go?

Screenshot_20230413-105302_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Definitely shouldn’t be capped off, it appears to be the safety discharge pipe and is a cause for concern, odd how it’s not losing pressure, unless the filling loop is passing? Could be expansion issue or the valve has operated and not seated correctly - needs an engineer out to look at it. Afaik it should be re-routed correctly to outside.

I believe it is from the "Safety Valve Discharge" - so if the water is really leaking from there (and not rising damp!), it may need some further investigation from an RGI - where does the outlet go?

View attachment 300790

Thanks so much for providing this! Yes it does seem to be the safety valve discharge like you say.

It is definitely leaking from the bottom of this pipe and onto the concrete floor in my garage. You can see the damp patch in the pic above. I've tried putting tissues down around the pipe and they are soaked within a few mins.

Definitely shouldn’t be capped off, it appears to be the safety discharge pipe and is a cause for concern, odd how it’s not losing pressure, unless the filling loop is passing? Could be expansion issue or the valve has operated and not seated correctly - needs an engineer out to look at it. Afaik it should be re-routed correctly to outside.

Sorry one thing I forgot to mention.... I did have a boiler service a few weeks ago just to check everything was working efficiently (which it was). I did raise this to the engineer however he told me it wasn't an issue if I didn't mind the leaking (as it's in the garage and concrete floor so not causing any damage) but I wasn't fully convinced hence wanting to get a second opinion. He didn't really go into too much detail other than it may have been related to the external expansion vessel next to the boiler. In hindsight, I should have asked more questions.

I did raise this to the engineer however he told me it wasn't an issue if I didn't mind the leaking (as it's in the garage and concrete floor so not causing any damage) but I wasn't fully convinced hence wanting to get a second opinion. He didn't really go into too much detail other than it may have been related to the external expansion vessel next to the boiler. In hindsight, I should have asked more questions.
I would use a different engineer next time, how can it not be an issue, especially just because it’s leaking onto a concrete floor?

I would use a different engineer next time, how can it not be an issue, especially just because it’s leaking onto a concrete floor?
What I will do is contact the engineer now and ask him for a more technical explanation.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
He is out on a job at the moment but will give me a call back later. I will report back.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back