Boiler pressure loss, wet ceiling? Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Grateful for any advice.

Had a new central heating system installed (valiant ecotec 630, indirect 'megaflo' (joule brand), wet under floor heating in the kitchen (about 30-35m2) and 11 radiators about a year ago. All installed and gas Safe certified a year ago

Had some issues with it for about 6 months. There has been a pressure loss of about 0.6bar over 2 weeks. This has varied in speed.

The ceiling under the megaflo (in the lort) had visibly dripped water twice. Once our builder (as it was during the build) went up there and tightened a pressure release valve. All was well until about 6 months ago where the same thing happened British gas reset the valve but said ok. Since then the system has lost 0.6bar every 2 weeks.

The ceiling under there remains damp looking and last week a very small area of paint peeled suggesting it's still leaking but I can't obviously see anything when going up there.

There is no obvious leak elsewhere. I have tightened all the rad valves (no air in the rads and crystal clear water). There was a drip on the manifold for the underfloor heating but we had this tightened up (slowed it but pressure loss the same).

Our builder (who I don't think we will be calling back) did lord knows what when we weren't around- he put our magna clean behind a cupboard wall and denied we ever had one so it's unaccessible so we will have to cut an access hole now. I'm not sure of there may be a source of leaks.

We managed to eventually get the installers details (one for the CH system and one for the tank) who didn't think the pressure loss could be from the ceiling (as said that was likely a surge in the mains water pressure). They said keep an eye on it and if continued may be an underfloor leak and to try leak sealer.

Not really sure who to call on this? Leak detection companies said the leak is too small to find and call plumber. Installer said the same, British gas didn't want to touch anything?

Any help greatly appreciated.

T

Sponsored Links
You need to get an experienced engineer to visit, the mention of leak sealer so early in the process sends shivers up my spine.

It needs to be worked through it methodically and rule out each area to identify where the loss is coming from. Isolate the boiler/isolate the cylinder/isolate the UFH/ inspect even Meter of pipework that can be accessed and work through it all to rule out everything else before even considering a leak sealer.

Can be a long and laborious process.

Thanks for replying, appreciated.

Im at a loss as to who to call- instakleris a nice guy but not sure how reliable they will be at coming back.

Best to look up someone from check a trade?

The manifold does have drips of water coming from the water return pipe still - does plumbers putty/lsx work in stopping these or best to leave to the professionals?

The fitting on the manifold that is dripping needs to be stripped and checked, you shouldn't have to use anything to make it watertight especially if it's only a year old. If the manifold is physically dripping then that'll probably be where your pressure loss is coming from.

Doesn't need a lot of water to escape to drop 0.6bar over 2 weeks and the longer it goes on the weaker the inhibitor is getting every time you have to add water.

Ask locally/neighbours etc and see if anyone can be recommended, I personally wouldn't use any trades from websites like those.

Most good independents I know of don't need to pay to use those types of trade services to obtain jobs IME.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Madrab. Appreciated advice - will ask around to get someone to look at it

If you post your location there may be someone on this site close to you.

Be prepared for time and money... Its never fun unravelling and redoing other's work... especially when you start seeing "other things" they have done wrong but aren't "yet" manifesting a problem!
We all have our own methods and ways of doing things and it niggles when you're fixing an issue but are surrounded by alien workmanship of varying standards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back