Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past few weeks, the boiler has not heated the water all the time. I've put more pressure into the boiler using the valve but this does not seem to work. The pilot light is on. When I run the tap slowly, sometimes the water is hot.
I'm stuck, please help.
The boiler is a Worchester Bosch 240

Graham

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if the plate heat exchanger is blocked.

But if you have described the symptom badly the diverter valve may have failed.

Tony

PS Worchester is an area on the outskirts of Joberg!

Sponsored Links
Sorry the principle is correct but its not a plate its a losenge shaped thing.

I do have to say they dont block so often though on that model.

The OP's description of the problem is a bit thin and different conclusions might arise if a few more words and info was given.

Tony

The boiler used to heat the water through the day but running a bath on the night was cold. Now the water runs cold most of the time. This has just started happening after the boiler was serviced (about 6 weeks ago). Is there anything I can do? or should I just call a plumber?
Thanks for you responses.

Graham.

Grabster, how much time did your plumber take to service the boiler.

If he does not know how the boiler works, it is time to look elsewhere. To be fair to him, the diverter could have developed a fault during the six weeks. You may want to get him back and suggest he looks at boiler operation during HW demand.

15 minute spring clean is no service.

The OP's description of the problem is a bit thin and different conclusions might arise if a few more words and info was given.

Tony do you really mean it?

The boiler used to heat the water through the day but running a bath on the night was cold.

Thanks for you responses.

Graham.

Since the boiler does not know what time it is that sounds less likely!

Could it be that if you had run a bath during the day that the performance would have been the same as at night?

Tony

The plumber spent about 60 minutes. He cleaned a couple of parts and fiddled about for the rest of the time. The boiler fires up when the tap is run, but just no hot water. We are going to phone a another plumber and hopefully it won't cost too much.
Thanks for your time and responses.

Graham

With the system cold turn the hot tap on and feel the Flow pipe to the heating. If that is getting hot then its your diverter valve that's the problem and fairly common on these.

Worcester recommend a full replacement and if as I re-call they are a pain to get to, then so do I. If you do just get the diaphragm replaced make sure your repairer buys a genuine Worcester or 'giannoni' part. Giannoni is the make of DV that Worcester use in this model

The 240 is one of the easiest boilers to work on the diverter valve.

Usually there is no problem just replacing the diaphragm unit on this one.

However, the sliding joint onto the losenge shaped DHW HE always leaks afterwards. Its a good idea to have a new one ready as it can be a pain to stop the old one leaking.

Tony

However, the sliding joint onto the losenge shaped DHW HE always leaks afterwards. Its a good idea to have a new one ready as it can be a pain to stop the old one leaking.

Totally agree, but I now carry spare 'o' rings rather than this telescopic coupling.

About the only WB I will change the diaphragm on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back