Boiler Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am currently looking at an extension on my property. To gain access to a new upstairs bedroom the cupboard door where the hot water tank is situated will be used. This means the hot water tank will have to be moved into the loft.

The property is 7 years old and the boiler is in the kitchen with a hot water tank in a cupboard upstairs. I'm no expert by any means but I have a couple of questions someone may be able to answer to assist me in my modifications:

1. As the extension will be an extra 3 rooms and approx 5 radiators will my boiler be able to cope (or does this have nothing to do with the boiler? :?: ) with the extra radiators?

2. Is it an easy job (for a decent plumber) to move the hot water tank into the loft space?

3. Even though I have 2 bathrooms would it be easier whilst I am extending to switch to a combi-boiler and get rid of the hot water tank?

The boiler is a Baxi Solo 3 50 PF and also says Baxi Solo 3 PF 30/80

Apologies for all the questions but I'm new to this!!

Sponsored Links
1) Impossible to answer as you do not give enough detail
2) Not really possible, assuming that it is a vented cylinder
3) Most people would say no

You might be better off thinking in terms of:-

1) A storage combi
2) An unvented cylinder
3) A thermal store

But it is still impossible to comment without knowing a lot more about your property, mains flow rate etc

EliteHeat said:
1) Impossible to answer as you do not give enough detail
2) Not really possible, assuming that it is a vented cylinder
3) Most people would say no

You might be better off thinking in terms of:-

1) A storage combi
2) An unvented cylinder
3) A thermal store

But it is still impossible to comment without knowing a lot more about your property, mains flow rate etc

1) What extra detail is required and I'll try and provide it?
2) How do I know if it's a vented cylinder?

Thanks

Details required are:-

Dimensions of the proposed structure to include:-

Outside wall measurements
Ceiling heights - if not 2.4M
Which of the wall measurements are external walls
Window types
Loft insulation thickness
Wall details - cavity, filled cavity etc
Part of the country that you are in - oops, Lancashire

You can tell if it is a vented cylinder by checking to see if it is being supplied by a cold water tank.

Oh, and the exact model of the boiler would be nice.

Sponsored Links
The OP said its a Solo PF50 and I tell you it will be on the limit adding another 5 rads.

Why dont you just bang in a Combi boiler. By the time you have paid to have all that junk moved it will be cheaper in the long run.

What happens when you want a loft conversion??

Stan

With two bathrooms I would put an Alpha Solar Smart in the loft and combine it with an unvented cylinder or a combi of your choice. If unvented cylinder stick with the original boiler. My house is 3 story 6 bedroomed two bathroomed and a 30,000 btu Ideal Mexico heats it, only just. But the cost of changing boilers when the original is only 7 years old is great. Better to make lifestyle choices. We are quite happy with our house heated to 18 degrees C in the winter, we are then better aclymatised to face the cold outdoors. You soon get used to it. people have their houses unhealthily warm and stuffy.

Oo I hope not. No just as an Alpha service agent and actually the guy who would commission an Alpha Solar Smart in my area were you to install one I have been brainwashed. But to be honest the Solar Smart is a fantastic design, you don't get awards for nothing.

The beauty is that they have allowed it to be used with any combi capable of taking it or running it with an unvented cylinder instead of a combi.

the reason for it's superiority over previous designs is that you are always making use of solar energy. With a two coil cylinder your heating system will automatically heat it, so when the sun comes out you have little use of it.

I think the Alpha system is the bees knees. Now you guys know I'm an honest man, I don't promote something just because I have an involvement, it has to be good. Like the Buderus boiler for instance which I have no connection with.

And unless you work for them of course you have to have a wallett the size of the Titanic :LOL:

Stan

Actually I'd probably get a better deal from PTS that from Alpha.

also Alpha won't sell me a blend valve seperately I tried today to get one. They won't sell it seperate from the Solar smart system. Who can blaim them.
No matter there are other ways to sking this cat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back