Boiler question

Removed at poster request

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Sorry, not what I meant. I meant, is the condensate pipe and copper pipe joined inside before going outside?
I don’t think they should be. The copper pipe is the Pressure discharge pipe which can just be vented to outside and any discharge needs to be seen whereas the condensate pipe can’t be left to just drip, it must be routed into a drain or soakaway as the condensate is slightly acidic.

Removed at poster request

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh, I don’t think anyone mentioned a copper pipe in the 1st place. I don’t know where Android got that from. I just said white plastic pipe.
But talking about joining is just confusing a simple check.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
just switch the system off with pressure in it and disconnect the condensate pipe under the boiler, and put a bowl or something under it and see if you get drips when the boiler is not on

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
So, without disconnecting anything ( this would be beyond my capabilities! sorry ) , I see no dips on the plastic pipe under the boiler.

So, without disconnecting anything ( this would be beyond my capabilities! sorry ) , I see no dips on the plastic pipe under the boiler.
Get a small child to do it if it is indeed beyond your capabilities , it involves pulling a solid plastic pipe out of a flexible connector , if you are not strong enough call on @gasbusters he will dust and polish the boiler at the same time

Get a small child to do it if it is indeed beyond your capabilities , it involves pulling a solid plastic pipe out of a flexible connector , if you are not strong enough call on @gasbusters he will dust and polish the boiler at the same time

I do not have access to a small child. I guess I will now need to arrange the kidnapping of one ;)

I asked for a 2nd opinion and asked a different Gas safe engineer to come and do the servicing. He charged me the call-out fee but was able to point out a number of issues that need to be fixed :
-Boiler was moved by the builders in the bathroom from the centre to a side.
-They did not fit the flue correctly. It was not at an angle and it was also less than 1200mm from the nearest bedroom window.
-The white plastic pipe coming out was very thin and it needed to be a fatter one otherwise it would freeze in winter.
-The copper pipe from the boiler did not need to go all the way down from the 1st floor. It could have been terminated against the wall.

He re-pressurised the boiler and tightened the valves underneath and said there would be hot water but no heating. He said wait 24 hrs and see if the pressure drops. It has not.

Guys, sorry to bump this thread.
Winter is coming.

I spoke to a gas engineer at work and he suggested a Track & trace would be required and I take home insurance which includes this. So, I paid a little bit extra and took such home insurance 3 months ago.

Now, I would like to call them. What is the process with Track & Trace ? Do they lift carpets and floorboards all around the house ? How long does it take ?

I've just re-read the thread and see that the 2nd opinion guy re-pressurised the system and left the heating off.

After leaving it for 24 hours you said the pressure did not drop.

This suggests you don't have a leak in the pipes. The expansion vessel is knackered and needs replacement.

At the moment the boiler is over pressurising when heating is on and opening the pressure relief valve.

This is probably why the old valve that has been replaced was leaking in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back