Boiler refilling - Is this an issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIY-ers,

I am planning to move in to a property in the new year but my seller has come back today and refused to take responsibility for the working of boiler and the central heating. This semi detached house was empty for the last 6 months so he has drained the boiler. This is a gas fired condensing boiler with the hot water stored in a storage cylinder.

Should this be a cause for concern for me to back off from this property? He is not even willing to refill and start the heating on.

If i wish to refill this how much will this cost me?

Why is it risky to refill a boiler?

Thanks
Kutu

Sponsored Links
Maybe he does not want the cost? Or he knows there is a problem?

You dont say what the boiler make is so we cannot judge how likely it is to give a problem.

Fitting a new boiler would be perhaps about £1600 and compared with most property prices is really insignificant.

If I was asked to refill a system, bleed rads, add inhibitor and recommission the boiler then I would expect that to be at about £136.

If there was a fault then add £100-£200 to repair most faults.

My advice is to say that you want the price reduced by £200 if he will not recommission the boiler. That should not cause him to refuse to proceed with the sale and will probably cover whats involved.

It would be silly to back out of the purchase of the property for the sake of a few hundred pounds if it is what you want!

Tony

As with Tony - although prices remember vary by region.

I would also request that you are given access to the property in good time to facilitate the plumber doing the work so tehat you know you can move into a habitable property.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the reply. I am not aware of the boiler make. I take your recommendations positively.

Thanks again

Just been around to a place.

Boiler with a fan that has just decided to go 3 days before the couple
are moving out. They have signed contracts just this week.
So you could say that this is the new owners problem.

I said I will leave a quote and they can sort it out between themselves
and the new owner.

Either way they aren't going to get a new fan before they move out.
I'm certainly not installing a new fan only for the current owners
to do a disappearing act and the new owners to refuse anything to do with
the bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back