Boiler: remain obsolete or accept risk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning update of 15-18 yr-old system (new insulated cylinder, adding TRVs, boiler) I face this dilemma:

1) Fit a reliable, cast-iron HE boiler (yep, that would be the Ideal) and know that I'm probably set up for another 15-18 years trouble-free BUT as soon as the new building regulations are in place in Ireland (next month) have a boiler that is essentially obsolete and below guidance efficiency rates (79.8% for the Ideal, 90% minimum required from April I think).

2) Go for a condensation boiler (could be the Worcester/Bosch 12Ri) so the house is up to date with current regulations, perhaps better market price if selling, BUT higher risk of failure, especially considering this system is at least 15 years old and no amount of flushing will get rid of whatever is in there right now. Yearly servicing also more expensive, would spend 50% savings of using cond boiler in its servicing.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks
The Spaniard

Sponsored Links
Difference in gas usage per year in £'s is about £30 per year so 10 yrs is £300, is the cost of the boiler that much extra? Are you "Green"? Your boiler won't be obsolete in April whatever one you buy, Manufacturers stop making parts for boilers when it's no longer profitable. Still get parts for most 25 year old boilers. But the one's that are rare they stop making parts for earlier.
If the reliable cast iron Ideal your thinking of is an Isar or Icos there the most unreliable boiler I know of.
Most systems can be cleaned, if a flush can't remove blockages they can be cut out because it's usually only the pipework around the heating controls that are blocked and can be easily cut out and replaced and a Magnaclean fitted to get the rest of the sludge out.
So I would go for a reliable boiler based on cost and efficiency and deffo get it cleaned out.
Stainless steel heat exchanger's are better than aluminium in HE boilers.

Hope this helps Duz..

If the reliable cast iron Ideal your thinking of is an Isar or Icos there the most unreliable boiler I know of.

Hope this helps Duz..

When was an Isar a cast iron boiler?

Tony

Ok your right it's aluminium but how does that help the OP, try helping him I don't need your advise seen a lot of your comments and you seem to be quite patronizing. Just doing a bit of karma after getting some advise for me loft conversion. Can you add any helpful advise to this poor chap who is beside himself with worry about what to do? O to be perfect.

Sponsored Links
Ok your right it's aluminium but how does that help the OP,

It helps the OP by giving him the correct information!

He seems to have his own ideas that modern technology is to be avoided. He probably still uses candles rather then gallium arsenide diodes.

There is probably little advice that can be given to someone who is convinced that the latest technology is to be avoided. Of course a bicycle is more reliable than a hybrid car! But a hybrid is more energy efficient than a gas guzler!

Tony

If your existing boiler is still functional or repairable do some more sums.

Taking into account the cost of the new boiler, installation, powerflush, compliance with all regs and increased parts and repair costs that you will have; simply because there are more parts in a new boiler to go wrong. How long will it take you to get your money back when weighed against projected fuel savings?

Throwing another couple of cylinder jackets on top of any you have will save money with a shorter payback time than buying a new cylinder, unless you want the faster recovery [re-heating] time afforded by new cylinders.

Fitting TRV's will undoubtedly be a cost effective venture. Money spent on any insulation is well spent. I don't know about Ireland but here there are many grants available.

I don't rate Ideal Isar/Icos or Glow worm or anything French.

no amount of flushing will get rid of whatever is in there right now.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If that really is the case then consider renewing your system pipework and rads when the time has come for you to buy a new boiler.

Ok your right it's aluminium but how does that help the OP,

It helps the OP by giving him the correct information!

He seems to have his own ideas that modern technology is to be avoided. He probably still uses candles rather then gallium arsenide diodes.

There is probably little advice that can be given to someone who is convinced that the latest technology is to be avoided. Of course a bicycle is more reliable than a hybrid car! But a hybrid is more energy efficient than a gas guzler!

Tony
i have to agree with that remark from kev :p

So to answer a few questions:

- It's the Ideal Classic, last one in cast iron I'm told.
- Do understand advantages of insulation, etc. Boiler change is opportunistic, makes up just about 16% of total cost for a new Ideal, 30% for the 12Ri.
- I am green but not religiously so. Meaning that I'm OK with the additional price of a more efficient boiler IF replacing a fan unit worth 200 every other year doesn't become a habit. CO2 produced by creating, distributing, fitting that part is probably higher than having a less efficient boiler that doesn't need replacement parts.
- Not against technology, just against design for profit. PCB replacement is an example of a scenario I would hate.

Thanks

Ideal classic one of the best boilers ever made and very reliable the classic HE uses all existing bits with an extra heat exchanger it is a band B boiler so in theory is about 86% efficent .You have made a good choice stick with it

Isn't there still a band B Baxi with a cast iron HE ??

The ideal Classic has been very reliable but the only common problem is that the fan sits on top of the c.i. HE and gets overheated when the boiler goes off. That gets worse if it a bit scaled up as the flame side overheats and the block gets even hotter when it goes off.

A fan over run would have solved that problem but that would have seriously reduced efficiency where the boiler is cycling.

I would suggest a Viessmann Compact as a Band A boiler with a heat exchanger which will never fail and a five year warranty on the boiler if its fitted by an approved installer.

Tony

Span
Although I'm in the gas industry and it's in my best interest for people to change there boiler every 15yrs or so you have probably hit the nail on the head with the design for profit line. Also the gov have signed up to the treaty that says it will reduce fuel usage and who's gonna pick up the bill.................................................us....................................................................well not me you.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back