Boiler Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post, so hi all :D
I wonder if any boiler repair blokes could give me some advice. I'm coming to the end of a 4 year apprentiship. Although it's been though for one reason or another. Anyway i really want to get into boiler fault diagnosis and repair, but don't really know how to go about it. The majority of the work that we do is installation, I enjoy this, but my heart is in fault finding, although i haven't done that much. I've recently done my ACS and I'm waiting to get my ticket so i can work on gas. How did everyone else go about getting into boiler repair? If any boiler repaires who are in the Sheffield area who want cheap labour for a couple of days a week then look no further.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sadly in this current climate, repair engineers MIGHT be willing to offer training/advice for free rather than cheap labour.

The other aspect you should bear in mind is why would someone want to help train possible competition :rolleyes:

I know this sounds negative, but it is reality. It will be a struggle to learn this side.

Personally I went on several manufacturers courses, asked around a lot of mates and made a lot of errors and mis-diagnosis in the early days, but never charged the customer for my inexperience.

It will be a sharp learning curve, but with a logical mind and MI's available for each boiler, you should get there under your own steam.

Don't expect too much, or book in too many jobs in a day. Give yourself plenty of time and be prepared to make some costly wrong decisions.

If you cost yourself some money, then so what, but you won't make that mistake again.

ALWAYS check the simple basics first, never go straight in and assume it is something serious eg a pcb.

Good luck.

If you work for a small firm it is difficult to get into fault finding. I know that british gas are changing their insurance to breakdown only soon and will be looking to take on servicing/breakdown engineers. If you got on servicing you could build up your experience and go on upgrade course to attain breakdown engineer status. salary is good too. And in terms of experience you will be doing between 8-10 a day.

i have to say both answers already given are pretty sound advice imho

Sponsored Links
get a job with an insurance provider, BG would be first on the list, but people like Npower etc are starting to get direct labour in. Couple of years with one of these guys should give you some pretty decent experience, and you'll be getting more breakdowns you can handle ;)
I'd then recommend moving onto a manufacturer for about a year or so.
All the while you can always help yourself simply by researching. Keep on the forums, do some research on electronics, hydraulics, get intimate with the workings of a boiler. If you understand in detail how something works, it makes it alot easier to fix it. You'd be amazed at the amount of engineers who struggle to understand combustion faults on premix condensers.
Another good tip, make friends with people who work for manufacturers, they have alot of useful info at their disposal.

What does your current employer expect you to do when the apprenticeship ends?

as soon as you get your gas safe card join the cc section and you can get some decent help

2 year old post guys, I would have thought he's got himself sorted or found an alternative career by now

fault finding is steep learning curve but very rewarding! i would suggest joining a big company (SSE, BG, Npower etc) and get used to servicing and basic component replacement (pumps etc) the amount of engineers who just chuck parts at jobs is still alarming the high, half assed fault finding and assumptions being the main cause! oh and of course M.I's being wrong or innaccurate! go work for SSE, they have to prove a component is faulty before ordering a new one will be authorised!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back