Boiler Replacement/Installation - Pricings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just some personal thoughts on pricing for the following we are having done next week after having our boiler replaced. I think its a fair price when hunting on the 'net and considering whats involved, plus the cost of the Baxi Duo Tec 24HE I finally chose and was suggested as an alternative to the Vaillant EcoTec 24 Pro/Plus, but wife's a bit shocked as its a good chuck of cash

The following is being carried out :

Boiler removed/replaced
Power flush, with fernox
Fitting Magnaclense filter
Fitting wireless room stat
Fitting separate mains power point for new boiler
Running condensate outlet pipe to waste pipe which is not that far
Two days labour

1st day remove old boiler, install backplate and pipe it up ready and powerflush system. 2nd day install boiler, wiring and other bits and connect and setup and issue paperwork if ok

I asked for the mag filter to be fitted

Installer won't install new boilers without powerflushing and it also gives 5 years parts and labour guarantee which is invalid if powerflush not carried out and he's an accredited Baxi installer. Plenty of info to check on installer and registered with gas safe (which has been checked) and help Direct Safe Trader Scheme

Survey also to fit a drain off point in the kitchen pipework as there wasn't one to enable draining system totally

Also adding inhibiter to system and did tell us that if in future the system, is drained to make sure inhibiter is put back in to keep system protected

Gas pipe already 22mm so that doesn't need updating, boiler going in same place as old boiler which is easy access as its in back bedroom as no room in kitchen. We asked about moving boiler to kitchen but just no room to put it anywhere. Apparently can't go near sink which was the only real alternative as back wall was too narrow between back door and kitchen window

Sponsored Links
Sorry, it was a bit vague on what I was supposed to be asking

By personal thoughts, I mean personal thoughts on what would be considered 'fair price' for the work involved

Prices will vary massively between an independent gas fitter and a chain such as British Gas. Which are you using?

I'm no gas fitter but had a new boiler ( the Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28 ) and similar work to you done fairly recently. From an independent, I'd estimate £1800-2000.

Sponsored Links
OP- Your question is about money. You need the Moneysavingexpert site. Most of us are here to give technical opinion and are reluctant to help those, who can't get through life, in order for them to beat others trying to earn a crust. In short grow some and make a decision. Come back if you actually need advice about plumbing & heating.

Yes, its an independant suggested by the local plumbing/boiler parts suppliers after I was looking at a new boiler after the current one broke down again just before Christmas and after spending some time looking him up found he was highly recommended by customer comments on various places

His gas safe details check out and has a shop based locally, so doesn't operate from his van/mobile

Upfront about what needed doing and sent me written quote outlining all details of what work was involved and requested along with written price.

Spoke with him since and said there should be no issues as its a boiler swap and laying in fused 240v boiler connection will be no problems as that boiler apparently must have its own circuit. The old one was 'plugged in'

The fact that we already have 22mm gas pipe and I think they are heating feed and return pipes that are already 22mm makes his life much easier, and my pocket .....

Don't be coy!

Just tell us what the quote is.!

BTW a boiler can be "plugged in", but should be unswitched. If there is a socket there, and he prefers not to use a plug, and some guys don't because they don't look good or right, why can it not be changed to a fused spur?

Its already been dealt with if you had read that "I considered it a fair price" after I DID spend some considerable time reading up on various sites and forums, including here. Trying to decide on what boiler to use is a nightmare. Like buying a new car. Some rave about some makes, then you find others that say its a pile of junk. I got in contact with this firm before Christmas and explained it would probably be in the New Year assuming the boiler lasted that long. Just the wife is a bit shocked on how much it is costing. Like most people she won't see the cost of labour and the time to powerflush properly, the cost of buying a boiler that won't breakdown every 12 months, etc, etc

Two days labour doesn't come cheap, and I could have got a boiler for at least £100 cheaper and bought a much cheaper wireless room stat, and not had the mag filter fitted would have saved another £100 but after the aggrevation with crap boiler that was already installed I wanted piece of mind for the future. Its not just me I have to think about

I could no doubt have got it done much cheaper, by somebody who thinks a powerflush would just be flushing it through with cold water would be enough and that was from a well known local boiler/gas fire installation firm

It was also said that he isn't the cheapest when I asked about a good and reliable installer but cheap doesn't always means you'll get the same service. It may work just as well if I paid £500 less but after sales support is what keep customers and can generate custom. As in this case it did for who is getting the work

I was asking for 'personal' opinions on the work involved and the choices I made, people have to make a living and also try to keep customers happy. We all know people who got things done for much cheaper than suggested and then end up paying for it with breakdowns and faults later

I'm assuming it will be a fused spur by the survey and chat we had about installing and possibly lifting some floorboards to get a permanent feed. The socket is used by the bedroom so I don't think he wants to run a spur off that as its already a spur from the socket on the other side of the room, well more of an extension. Hence the permanent fused connection

Our written quote was £2000. Maybe the top end of what the work cost, which is why I asked on 'personal opinions' but also get 5 years parts and labour and when asked about any callouts says thats also covered. Obviously I will be getting it yearly serviced by him

The vaillant Eco Tec 24 was only two years guarantee, and I'm not going to go back and say 'I could have got it £500 cheaper'. Once agreed on, then rightly if its way way off average I could argue, but I believe its a fair price taking into account cost of parts and two days labour

if you are changing from sealed system to sealed system, there is no need for a power flush...unless you were repeatedly topping up a sealed system does not corrode after the oxygen has reacted with the steel in the radiatirs...

I would install a decent magna booster filter...

We had an issue previously that the PRV kept blowing, so dumping all the pressure and shutting the boiler down, so was being topped up every few days

Turned out that the expansion vessel wasn't doing its job, which is helpfully behind the boiler so either you fit a new one elsewhere or remove the boiler and fit a new one behind it

In this case it turned out the pipe leading to it was blocked solid with scale not a knackered expansion vessel

Also the two PCB's its had as the marvelous Britony Combi 80SE we currently have the misfortune of having likes PCB's. And at £150 a time, and spares are apparently starting to dry up, and it appears this boiler type is at least 12-15 years old we were very lucky to still be able to get spares

warranty would not be invalid if a powerflush was not carried out,
The system needs to be left to a standard but that doesn`t always mean powerflushed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back