Boiler replacement quotes - surprisingly high

£500 a day is unreasonable no one can reasonably dispute that although some probably will.
I was being generous with the 500 figure as well.

The total quote value was 2350. The boiler and flue can be bought for 1050 - I have to assume that the installer can get it for less, but let's let that figure lie.

The only materials I can think of would fall into the category of consumables, so let's allow a generous 100 quid for that.

That means I was being charged 1100 for a powerflush and straightforward boiler installation.

The only reason I got on my high horse at the beginning of this thread was due to being repeatedly told it was reasonable :)

I think given that I have had identical quotes from two very different suppliers, I am simply being offered the market rate for the area I live in.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone get back to me definitively with an answer about the self installation query.

As far as I can see, CORGI say it's OK and it's down to the individual who completes the work to assess whether or not to accept the job.

Will leave yous with it i am off to gym now, need to build muscles up as i have a wage packet to pick up. :LOL: :LOL:
Lucky for you - see us people with proper 9-5 jobs can't go to the gym at 3.32 in the afternoon! :LOL:

I didn`t even think you had electricty that far down let alone gas. :LOL: ok ok i`m going :LOL:

Sponsored Links
In my opinion no it is not if that is purely what the job is. And i don`t think it is because they didn`t want the job it is purely people are paying prices around that mark with no quibble. Bg would be around 4k for that job and people pay that.
And the bit that makes me laugh the most is people make a big issue about certificate and cost of it... it takes 2 minutes to register it online and costs £2.50

even bg wouldn't quote 4k for a straight swap! they mite quote £2500 - £3000 tho! :LOL:

perhaps they dnt want the job, i kno ppl who over quote cuz they dnt fancy it but if they accept it its all gud!

Gasman gaz ok job last year BG, worcester 30si in and remote stat. nothing else remove gloworm compact 100e BG price £4300 hearsay No i had quotes all in front of me 2 weeks ago compact out again and bog standard 28 worcester in £ 3700 then £300 discount for loyal customer. And seen loads at over £3500.
Condensate runs where minimal
I wont even go into the 7k combi change yeah thats right 7 k

£500 a day is unreasonable no one can reasonably dispute that although some probably will.
I was being generous with the 500 figure as well.

The total quote value was 2350. The boiler and flue can be bought for 1050 - I have to assume that the installer can get it for less, but let's let that figure lie.

The only materials I can think of would fall into the category of consumables, so let's allow a generous 100 quid for that.

That means I was being charged 1100 for a powerflush and straightforward boiler installation.

The only reason I got on my high horse at the beginning of this thread was due to being repeatedly told it was reasonable :)

I think given that I have had identical quotes from two very different suppliers, I am simply being offered the market rate for the area I live in.

I priced your boiler this AM at £1030 which includes the flue and poss a mechanical clock so I doubt they are getting it much cheaper than that.

That was in MrCentralHeating or Ultimate discount ,if they have one near you go in there for your boiler and ask for some one's business card they will have loads of guys who go in all of the time.

Your spot on about materials however I doubt it would be even that.

Sentinel X 2 (400 & 100) £30

£50 for the rest of the odds and ends and the condensate waste.

The power flush? Depends.

Some machines cost about £900 but the chemicals are no more that that quoted above for the Sentinel.

So a reasonable cost of 'hiring' you the machine for the day would be about £50,IMO.

I have my own core drill and machine which I don't even charge for when I do a boiler but I used to hire one and it typically cost £60 a day and obviously that cost was passed on so no doubt most guys would do the same with the PF machine.

I mean you can't charge for everything although some do unfortunately.

I priced a top flat (nightmare of a job) last week which was a full redo except for the rads which were staying for £1300 labour including the electrician and a wireless stat and never got it.

In my opinion no it is not if that is purely what the job is. And i don`t think it is because they didn`t want the job it is purely people are paying prices around that mark with no quibble. Bg would be around 4k for that job and people pay that.
And the bit that makes me laugh the most is people make a big issue about certificate and cost of it... it takes 2 minutes to register it online and costs £2.50

even bg wouldn't quote 4k for a straight swap! they mite quote £2500 - £3000 tho! :LOL:

perhaps they dnt want the job, i kno ppl who over quote cuz they dnt fancy it but if they accept it its all gud!

They quoted £3800 for a straight swap on a job I did back in January for £2250.

Can anyone get back to me definitively with an answer about the self installation query.

As far as I can see, CORGI say it's OK and it's down to the individual who completes the work to assess whether or not to accept the job.

If you have read TB 214 and still think its ok to "sign off" diy work ,you need to read it again.

The HSE interpretation is the important bit.

I have dealt with it. Matter closed.
I bet it isn't though. Topics that start with someone whingeing about prices tend to end with insults aimed at the entire trade.

Mehran - Get real. £1200 for two days labour is far in excess of fixed costs and a living wage.
The £1200 is merely your estimate, and it's a wrong one.

Replies like this crack me up.
That would explain why you're behaving like an ar5e.

I thought this was a DIY forum - it actually appears to be a heating engineer salary protection racket...
And there it is.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.
If you were happy to agree to disagree then you would have shut up a long time ago.

I don't think it is a reasonable cost and given that it is me who is engaging the contractor, then it is up to me to decide what is reasonable.
You can't decide whether or not it's reasonable; you can only decide whether or not to pay someone the price they set. And you've decided to pay nobody, so you're bound to save money, especially since the contractor you're intending to use will be breaking the law.

Going back to the issue of legality, I have read CORGI technical document 214 and cannot see where my proposed course of action is prohibited.
Which adds to the weight of evidence that shows your ignorance. CORGI is not the authority on the relevant legislation. They might well have an interpretation, but it is CORGI's opinion and is of no value.

There is no need to patronise me about the costs associated with this.
Calm dear. Nobody intended to be patronising. There there.

It's the stupid assertion that £500 per day is 'reasonable'. I stand by the my claim that it is not.
What make that assertion stupid and yours not, hmm?

Sticking with this silly figure of £500 per day. Assuming 240 working days per year, that is 120K per annum.
Your point being...?

Let's say you drew a reasonable salary of 40K from that. Are you telling me your fixed costs are 80K per year?
No - you're telling us that.

Clearly this is not the case. Which means most people are *not* charging £500 per day. Do *you* actually charge £500 per day?
That's none of your business.

Let's all just forget about this shall we.
You'll soon be forgotten, but it won't be long before another ignoramus pops up and asks "How much?" or asserts "That's too much".

I can do nothing more than conclude the obvious - they are hiding a lot of extra margin in the cost of the boiler. Otherwise why would they not offer an install only price?
You could ask them. Or you could put yourself in the position of running such a business and imagine the costs involved. Or you could read what people have written on this and other topics, and take their word for it.

I was not asking for a 'commissioning only' price either, it was 'install only' - ie. I supply the boiler, they do the rest.
It wouldn't be responsible to neglect to commission it.

Maybe they just didn't want the work?
Maybe you just don't want to pay.

Can you please just answer the following question truthfully and without any prejudice. Disregard this whole thread and imagine it is a new question.
Are you going to regard it as a new answer?

The question is this:-

"Is it reasonable to charge 1200 in labour to fit a new boiler in exactly the same location as the old boiler given that all the services are already there"

I find it incredibly difficult to accept that this is reasonable!
No. You're not. You've already decided that you don't like the answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back