Boiler Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
Have just moved into my new flat, and on the first day realised the heating is not working!! Gutted. Have got my lawyer onto it, but in the meantime the guy I got out to have a look at it says my combi boiler needs replacing.

It has a leak at the heat exchange which is shorting the electrics and the pilot light is not working.

Can anyone give me a vague idea of what sort of costs we are going to be looking at? Believe me this is an expense I did not anticipate!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
should be an easy repair. excell h/e's are easy to replace and all other parts are available.

Thanks so much for your quick reply.
Anyone in the Glasgow area able for this? Am freezing!

Sponsored Links
Would suggest otherwise. Sadly, there is a 'boiler replacement' brigade about that without thought will push a boiler replacement. Often these guys know nothing about boilers other than connection of 5 pipes under the boiler they plan to fit (not realising sixth (PRV vent) should also be connected). Not for a minute am I suggesting your boiler may not need replacing but of late I am getting many calls for boiler replacement, which almost always turn out to be in need of simple repair or service.

Get second opinion. What make is the boiler?

DP is your man in glasgow for vokera repairs.

he will be along shortly no doubt.

edit: too late :LOL:

Thanks DP, am trying to arrange other people to come out.
Its a Vokera Excell 80 SP.

As you've raised the issue with your solicitor in the first 5 days I would just push ahead with the new boiler. Its the sellers responsibility to fix any defect in the heating system discovered up to 5 days after the completion date. You might as well get a shiny new boiler out of it!

Could have wept when we moved in and discovered it was broken! Our lawyer even gave our number to the seller to call us and talk us through the system in case we were doing something wrong - sounds like an admission that they knew of the problem to me!

Anyway, shall get someone else out to have a look asap tomorrow hopefully. If anyone has any recommendations of a good tradesman (or DP if you are still about), would be most grateful.

Evening all,
Have just moved into my new flat, and on the first day realised the heating is not working!! Have got my lawyer onto it

Can anyone give me a vague idea of what sort of costs we are going to be looking at? Believe me this is an expense I did not anticipate!

Thanks

Bearing in mind that your lawyer knows nothing about heating and charges 200 quid an hour, I would guess about 10 grand

DP is your man in glasgow for vokera repairs.

he will be along shortly no doubt.

edit: too late :LOL:

Danny was already on the case while you were still typing!

He would have had it repaired for less than half the Solicitors charge for getting out of bed!

It always makes me wonder why people accept this "your boiler has to be replaced" cowboy! I encountered one yesterday that was less than a year old. I fixed it for £94 !

Tony

Its the sellers responsibility to fix any defect in the heating system discovered up to 5 days after the completion date.

Is this the Law in Scotland? Sounds a good idea, but who decides whether the problem found by the purchaser is a "feature" or a "defect"?

In England it is up to the buyer to check that heating, electrics, drains etc are acceptable to him. Though what effect the HIPS package will have is uncertain at the moment: none I suspect.

Its the sellers responsibility to fix any defect in the heating system discovered up to 5 days after the completion date.

Is this the Law in Scotland? Sounds a good idea, but who decides whether the problem found by the purchaser is a "feature" or a "defect"?

Indeed it is, you have 5 days to report any problems with the CH/hot water system. I wouldn't have thought there is much debate about whether the problem is a defect or a feature but I guess a couple of independant plumbers opinions would soon settle the matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back