Boiler servicing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a very old Vulcan conventional boiler, it's very reliable. I'm very happy with it. I changed the pump myself around 3 years ago when I first moved into my new house. Since then, it has never let me down.

Basically I'm wondering if I should get a corgi reg engineer out to service it & take the burners out & clean them up? I've looked through the inspection hatch whilst boiler on & the flame is mainly blue, with some yellow parts, mainly towards the top third/half of the flame. Also noticed some soot type deposits on burners.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi BB
I`m from your neck of the woods, I know theres lots of service people out there but I can recommend COMBI UK.

As you say a very "robust" boiler.

However, be warned that the flue joints/air inlet joints/heatexchanger joints are prone to failure and hence leak fumes at an alarming rate. Your nice friendly £ORGI man may well decide that it is dangerous and, with your permission, disconnect it. Parts are no longer available so any repairs would be out of the question - new boiler time I'm afraid.

I have condemned four Vulcan Autostats this year for just this reason.

By conventional if you mean normal old boiler with flue on outside wall and not an open flued boiler. just leave it costs a fortune to run but will cost even more to change, thermocouple goes which you can change but other than falling apart which you can do nothing about its a good old boiler

Sponsored Links
Giblets,
The boiler is an Ideal Vulcan, sounds like something out of star trek :) Made in England, as well. The chimney stack/flue runs through the middle of my house. It was checked out 3 years ago by a Corgi guy & he said it was ok. Think he also checked the flu, possibly smoke test? Not totally sure. At the same time I had a real flame affect fire fitted, think that is 60% efficient. Well said so on the box.
If I had to change it I would. Speaks for it's self though, 25 years + still going strong. May not be that efficient, but reliable.
Thanks for the input, I shall have it tested out for piece of mind.
Cheers.

Namsag,
It's a stand alone Ideal Vulcan boiler, flu/chimney runs up the middle of house. I'm happy to keep it, as it has been totally reliable.

Ideal vulcan was a very rare boiler it is in fact an ideal mexico , less likely to leak than old Vulcan continental/autostat.And still a good boiler
As it is conventional flued get it checked every 18 months MAX

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back