Boiler Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hoping someone can help or provide some advice.

We are looking at getting a wood/coal boiler similar to the ones seen here; https://www.madaboutheat.com/dwbi-r...g-and-hot-water-burning-wood-coal-and-rubbish. Which we are going to house is a store room.

We are going to use it to heat a few areas, namely to provide underfloor heating ~46m2 and a 2 radiators.

My question is, concidering this, what would be an idea capacity for the boiler?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I hope you understand the shortcomings of UFH. Namely a delay of up to two hours before the room is hot.

An older property needs about 100 W per sq m. So say 4.6 kW plus the output power of the rads.

But that kind of boiler needs a gravity supplied heat sink radiator.

BUT its a controlled installation of that kind of boiler and the installer needs to be HEATAS registered and advise the LA Building Control.

Tony

Last edited:
I hope you understand the shortcomings of UFH. Namely a delay of up to two hours before the room is hot.

An older property needs about 100 W per sq m. So say 4.6 kW plus the output power of the burner.

But that kind of boiler needs a gravity supplied heat sink radiator.

BUT its a controlled installation of that kind of boiler and the installer needs to be HEATAS registered and advise the LA Building Control.

Tony
No heat leak required on these Tony, they're forced draught so the rules are very different. They operate much more like a gas boiler.

@Ivack you've not said what type of UFH system you're having, or what floor covering, and both of these affect the available heat output from the UFH and therefore the boiler size. If we assume 75w/m² then that's about 3.4kW for the UFH. You've also not said what size your radiators are. If we assume 1kW each then you have a total of 5.4kW, which means that even the least powerful of those boilers is going to be massively oversized for your system at about three times the power you need when running at full power, and running it continually at low firing rates is likely to lead to it coking up very quickly. It could be made to work by connecting it to a buffer vessel/accumulator, but that's going to approximately double your costs

Many thanks for your responses. I admit I didn't provide enough information about the whole picture I was just trying to get an idea, but I see that doesn't really help, so here goes on what we are trying to achieve.

We are a small Dog Hotel business and we occupy a large building, all the rooms for the dogs have electric underfloor heating, but the rest of the building has nothing. As we live on a farm we have an abundance of wood and installing a Wood Boilers seems the right way to go.

Our immediate aim is to provide heating for the reception area ~45m2 and the main hallway ~63m2. Our secondary aim is to increase the temperatures in the dog rooms themselves in the event we have an very cold winter, currently they are at acceptable levels, but we want the option just in-case it does get extra cold.

Our long term goal (i.e. a few years) is to connect this system to the main house (about 20m away), so the idea of the accumulator has already be assumed.

Back to the Dog Hotel, pretty much the entire place is either stone or concrete.

We are still in the planning stages (planning to install it before this winter), so we can easily change things. I.e. the UFH, this was just an stab in the dark as a possible solution for heating the reception.

The boiler is planned to be housed in the store room that is adjacent to the reception and we were thinking additionally of using an extraction fan to draw warm air from the store room into the reception.

Providing heat to the dog rooms is the tricky one as we can't install anything at ground level to a level to which any dog can reach. At the moment I'm thinking of running a large pipe above the door frame, and hoping the hot water heat would cumulatively help increase the room temperature by a couple of degrees. ??? Maybe

We are looking at installing this in parts and over time to help save money, i.e. just get reception warm, then later move on to the other areas.

Hope this helps, and any help provide is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Providing heat to the dog rooms is the tricky one as we can't install anything at ground level to a level to which any dog can reach.
I can't see what the problem is. Plenty of houses have central heating and dogs; and there doesn't appear to be any problems. Are you worried about the dogs burning themselves on the radiators?

You call it a "hotel"; do you mean up-market kennels where the owners send their pets while they cruise round the Med in their yacht?

Have you thought of asking Battersea Dogs & Cats Home what sort of heating they provide - if any?

My dog went on an unauthorised walk and was looking at the back of a property and the owners called the police.

The police came and arrested my dog even though she was innocent.

The Police handed my dog to a stupid Council dog officer who, instead of reading her chip and calling me, sent her south of the river to Battersea Dogs.

They did call me and I came to identify her and I thought to take her home. They insisted on keeping her for another night, so they could charge a night's B&B and making me return the next day. Total idiots! So I never give anything to them and only came the next day because I loved my dog so much.

I was not aware of much heating for the dogs at all.

Tony

@Ivack if you want to know what size boiler you need, you need to give much more detail about everything that you want to heat, including sizes, construction, window type and that sort of thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back