Boiler sounds like trombone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vailant EcoTec Plus 824. That has started to make an intermittent sort of hum rather like a trombone. I have a video of it which hopefully you can see below....

There has been a separate issue with the boiler recently where the outlet for the condensate i.e. the kitchen sink, was blocked which was causing the condensate to back up. That was fixed a couple of days ago, so not sure if it could be related..?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
The noise you are hearing is called resonation , you need an experienced gas engineer to sort it, not a big job but not something you can do yourself

I appreciate you taking the time to reply Ian. Cheers.

Have you any idea what's most likely to have caused it? I appreciate its hard to tell without looking at it, but the reason I ask is that I had it serviced by 24/7 Home Rescue 2 weeks ago. They have said they will come and have look at it, but if it wasn't caused by them then they will charge me £75 call out before discussing costs to fix it. If it's unlikely that it's anything to do with the service then I'll get someone else out...

Also, is there likely to be an immediate safety issue? i.e. should I switch it off or would you expect it be okay for a day or so while I wait for an engineer?

no need to switch it off short term but can damage the burner if left for longer, we are restricted to what information we give on here as it is an open forum, and I appreciate that you would not try to fix it yourself but someone else may read the same information and then attempt to do it, I havent seen the boiler but I do know what is wrong and could very well have been caused by incorrect servicing, but to be honest companies like home rescue do not actually service the boiler, they take a sample of the flue products using an electronic instrument and if the reading is within their tolerance that to them is a service, called poke and go on here, your boiler mixes gas and air to burn properly and this mixture if you like is controlled by the boilers electronics and gas valve settings and the gas valve setting is out so you are getting too much air compared to the gas in the mixture at low rate hence the noise

Sponsored Links
OK. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to a 'service'....
Many thanks once again for taking the time to explain this. I'll be able to sound like I know what I'm talking about when I get an engineer in, which I will do ASAP.

OK. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to a 'service'....
Many thanks once again for taking the time to explain this. I'll be able to sound like I know what I'm talking about when I get an engineer in, which I will do ASAP.
Dont believe the hype...Their is not 1 engr out there who fully strips a modern combi combustion chamber on every service and replaces gaskets etc..No way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back