Boiler stand by problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some help before I resign to having a new boiler fitted!
Firstly its a ferrolli boiler (which every plumber I've spoke to said they don't want to touch or try and repair! Lol)
I had a problem with the pump (not working at all) so I replaced a few months ago and boiler worked fine.
However part month I'm having issues - the boiler keeps going into stand by mode.
It fires up for 10-15secs then turns off and flashes stand by.
Sometimes it works for a week no issues, then I'll have 3 days where it doesn't work at all
I've been reading and googling and tried all sorts, drained and refilled system to ensure no air lock, checked condensate pipe for freezing, turned CH setting to Max and no joy!
When the boiler fires up and then goes into standby it makes a sort of hissing sound followed by a gurgling sometimes.
Also it seems that the pump
is not starting all the time as the water pressure doesn't increase.
Sorry for long post but could really do with some help and wanted to let everyone know what I've done so far and the symptoms.
Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It was meant as both a joke and a serious bit of advice. I have now said that as of the new financial year, Keston and Ferroli boilers are no longer worth repairing and I will noyl look at them in the context of replacing.

Sponsored Links
I have been doing a little work on a Ferroli.

The biggest problem has been the tenants who are about the least helpful about when I can come there. Nor do they speak to each other about using the boiler and its performance.

The boiler was in this case the least of the problems!

But I did have a call from an Agent whose Landlord had a three year old Ferrolli.

I did not show much enthusiasm for fixing it and they could not find any other RGIs to do so.

The nail in the coffin was when the Agent called Ferrolli who told her it was not a very good boiler and not worth fixing!

It was just three years old and so replaced!

I'm taking the advice on board that I need a new boiler!
Even so, with regards to the problem I've tried to describe does anyone have any ideas what it could possibly be
Just so I can try to get sorted until I can get someone in to replace
Its very cold!! Lol

what is it?, most ferollis are junk but an optima is much less junk than an optimax he

sounds like the pump is not getting a demand to run sometimes and the boiler is overheating, need to check voltage to the pump when it does this...probably pcb all along :(

I think the one I worked on was an Optimax HE.

The original problem was a blocked condensate drain external to the boiler. Caused by a restricted bend made by the installer.

Tony

optimax he31c is the scum of the heating world, sold for peanuts and fitted in landlord properties countrywide. My favourite bit of that is when you fit a new heat exchanger out of the box and they tell you you need to file the top flat on the corners so that the burner seal actually makes a seal!

OP, sorry I'm just taking for granted that you have already replaced the sensors?. Its a bit of a given on these. Also the f30B isn't a condenser but the Domicompact F30B is and if its that variant check for leaks.

No u haven't replaced any sensors, not sure where they'd be or if they're easy to change??
It has a condensor trap and pipe coming from the bottom and I've disconnected that to make sure there were no blockages or anything - also can't see any leaks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back