Boiler Upgraded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
o_O Opinions please. That filter is gotta be a fugly as as it gets. Is it really necessary? Pipe work be better? The snorkel :eek:

Attachments

• ACE04ECC-A03C-42BE-A914-BC8A8B95A111.jpeg
    ACE04ECC-A03C-42BE-A914-BC8A8B95A111.jpeg
    605.7 KB · Views: 147
  • C606CBE7-314C-4EBA-AC2E-DC8E88E7295E.jpeg
    C606CBE7-314C-4EBA-AC2E-DC8E88E7295E.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
Fixed price install was it? Not sure why the external plume kit is set at such a jaunty angle (unless there's a requirement for clearance from flammables).
The dosing pots are ugly but in a sealed system there's no other sensible way of getting inhibitor in. Plus modern boilers are less tolerant of bits of crud.
If it offends you that much, get a wall unit (check clearances required), cut the back out & hide the whole shooting match

Straighten the plume kit and box the boiler in. Job done

There was no other way to arrange the pipe, without disturbing what ever is above. Likewise the filter, needs to be and again was the only sensible location for it - modern boiler have narrow internal passages, so the filter is there to stop the crud getting in and blocking those passages. Follow the instructions to check it often at first, until you have an idea how much crud is being collected. I checked mine after a week, then a month, now I only check it every six months - as my confidence increased that it wasn't collecting very much crud, because there wasn't much in my system.

I'm not familiar with the flue regulations, so cannot comment on the need for the snorkel, but it's obviously been fitted to clear the adjacent roof. I'm not convinced it needed to be at that jaunty angle though.

Sponsored Links
He said the flue need to be 300mm from the adjacent property. I guess strictly speaking he is correct but in reality the flue is nearer to next doors window than it was before as it is higher. The property is 28 years old and looking around the neighbourhood where I have seen many heating engineers recently upgrading boilers, none have this snorkel design.
Overall I thought I was upgrading a neatly installed 1994 boiler for a slick 2020 boiler but have to say I’m disappointed. Yes the boiler is a huge improvement but the install just doesn’t look right. Hardly improves the property cosmetically.
Just ugly.
I guess this is a pitfall of trusting an online company.
I’m a little embarrassed to show people my new boiler at present. So far the only reaction has been shock and laughter at the appearance of the flue and the internal filter + pipe work.
:(
I don’t understand why the filter is not included inside the boiler. Poor design.
Could the pipe work not of been fitted at 90 degrees rather than joined like that?

Last edited:
Could the pipe work not of been fitted at 90 degrees rather than joined like that?

If you mean two 90 degrees instead of the dog-leg, then yes, but the flow will be a little better with the more gentle dog-leg. My boiler has two 90 degrees, plus having to cross the two pipes over above my boiler, due to the change in sides of the flow and return pipes compared to the earlier boiler. It looks worse than yours, but all hidden by a cupboard.

You would not want the filter inside the boiler casing. Installed in the casing you would need a Gas Safe engineer to come and clean it out for you. Where it is located, you can service the filter yourself.

Is the roof to the right in the photo a neighbours property?

Yes it is.

That changes things a little. If the snorkel was a requirement, then it would have been wrong for it to gone vertical and over the top of part of your neighbours roof flashing. I do agree, it looks awful and I would be inclined to seek opinion on the need for the snorkel at all and if not a requirement in the regulations, change it or have it changed. I know there is a minimum spacing from the flue outlet to a window or door.

Does that roof have a gutter ? There is a stain that suggests rain water running off the roof can run down the wall.

Could that water get drawn into boiler's air intake and if so would it be detrimental.

( I know free falling rain can be drawn into an air intake but the run off from a roof is a lot more water than falling rain )

Good point Bernard. I am not seeing a gutter - unusual for a roof such as that not to have a gutter, I wonder what the ground surface is?

Opinions please.

Flue not petty but looks fine to me as it is seems to be 300mm (ish) from the boundary.

As above, box in the boiler, or just the bit above the boiler, allowing access to the flue and filter.

Flue not petty but looks fine to me as it is seems to be 300mm (ish) from the boundary.

As above, box in the boiler, or just the bit above the boiler, allowing access to the flue and filter.

It would look very much better, if it went up at 45, then up vertically, if there are such flue parts.

[EDIT] Yes the do offer 45 degree bends..
https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/flue-bends/

The flue terminal needs to be a minimum of 300mm from your neighbour's boundary in order to comply with regulations. They could have put a 45° bend on the flue on the inside to throw it forwards, then come out of the wall a bit closer to your window. This would have removed the need for a plume management kit, but wouldn't have looked as good on the inside as the flue would have sat slightly forwards of the front of the boiler.

Filters are fairly standard on installations now, and are often a condition of an extended warranty. As you've had a boiler installed which is known to be particularly sensitive to system debris, it's a very good idea to provide it with this protection

It could be neater, but this is what happens when you use an online installation company. The guy fitting it won't be getting much, so you will get the bare minimum.

Looking at the picture the boiler is mounted over the tiles at the bottom - as in bottom is 10mm further out from wall???

In an ideal world I would have raised the boiler up to the minimum 160mm (i think) clearance from ceiling and re drilled the flue. I would still use PMK, but with a 45 + 90 so it was vertical. Also I would have dropped the return pipe down the side of the boiler and put the filter under boiler or in base unit below if possible. ALthough if you priced to do that then you probably wouldnt win the job

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back