Boilers in bathrooms - Yay or nay??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, it's time to fit a new boiler. Although ?less reliable I need a combi to free up space where the old cylinder is...
Question is, can I put a combi boiler in the bathroom?? I know there are 'zones' for lighting in bathrooms depending on how likely the installation is to be splashed. What about boilers?? I'm not planning to put it over the bath or anything, probably in a cupboard but still within the bathroom.
What colour will the buildings regs man's face be??

Cheers,

Oz.

Sponsored Links
ozymandias said:
So, it's time to fit a new boiler. Although ?less reliable I need a combi to free up space where the old cylinder is...
Question is, can I put a combi boiler in the bathroom?? I know there are 'zones' for lighting in bathrooms depending on how likely the installation is to be splashed. What about boilers?? I'm not planning to put it over the bath or anything, probably in a cupboard but still within the bathroom.
What colour will the buildings regs man's face be??

Cheers,

Oz.

if its in a cupboard then My understanding is that it aint in the bathroom

you'll be apples :)

IIRC, things in bathroom cupboards only count as "not in the bathroom" if you need a tool to open them. For example, shower pumps under the bath must have the panel held on with screws.

"Tool" includes a key, so you could put a cheap lock on the cupboard door.

Obviously, no switch that you can touch inside the bathroom.

there's a a good PDF on Bathroom Zones (do a search) but I don't remember it mentioning cupboards.

You want the Electrics UK forum.

Good thing about this forum is that someone will soon correct anything thats wrong. So I'll say my bit which I believe is right and see if I get corrected.

Here goes.
Combi's are no longer permitted in zone 1 although existing appliances do not have to be moved.
They are allowed in zone 2 or 3 but must be fully earthed across all the metal pipes going into it. The electrical isolation point must be located outside of the bathroom.
A cupboard is preferred and IMO is not 'in the bathroom' I haven't heard or seen anything about the cupboard needing a 'tool' but it certainly makes sense to exceed legal requirements in the name of safety.

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom said:
Good thing about this forum is that someone will soon correct anything thats wrong.
No they won't.

Alas, as this is the Plumbers forum, right or wrong, someone is bound to disagree.

The sparks are much more tolerant and calm.

to my knowlege not allowed as it as the potential to kill via monoxides still due to the damp atmosphere in which it could placed(corrosion) bathrooms so i believe prohibited bedrooms below x kw, if compartment in bathroom then it may need compartment ventilations if allowed to use compartment in bathroom+ frost protection from atmosphere.

dont ask me im only doing my acs

Doyle you r on right lines,, but thinking of open flued appliances. Room sealed allowed.

Under BS-EN7671 you are allowed to put a boiler meeting a stated IP rating (can't remember if it's IPX4 or 5, manual is in the van) in the zones providing it is not under, or would be sprayed by a shower.

Other items, like the fused spur, would need more sensitive siting, although as a boiler is deemed a fixed appliance, it could still go inside the bathroom.

The earth bonding at the bottom of the boiler is not required, providing supplementary bonding is carried out properly in the bathroom to exposed metal parts.

Where you have an electrical appliance which is touchable, the 'earth' bonding should be linked to a local earth continuity conductor in the bathroom (eg: the earth of the supply to the fused spur) rather than back to the main earthing terminal of the property.

as long as its ip rating is correct and the wiriing meets bs7671, its all gravy.
vailants are ok ideals are not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back