Bolting Timber to Steel Beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I am doing a single story extension with a flat roof. I have the Steel beam above the opening for the bifold doors (2.8m steel with 2.4m opening)

The timber joists for the floor are let into the wall either side back and front and then i am going to joist hang the and timber the length of the extension

I am going to bolt into the steel also for extra security however my question is: when bolting into the steel do i need to run a timber along the whole steel or can i just cut some uprights and bolt through that? Same with the wall on the other side is it okay to step it away from the wall?

Finding it hard to type what i mean so i have added some pictures

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 15.31.32.png 1652366325327.jpg 1652366325342.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not really following...

Looks like you've drawn a plan view with a roof light in middle? Is the thick red line at the top your steel beam? If so you'd be better off bolting a full length of timber into the web of the beam and nailing joist hangers to it.
Technically you don't need the timber to be full length but as you will need two bolts into each separate piece of timber if you cut separate sections, it would be a false economy to use separate pieces. Unless you have some offcuts left over and you don't mind drilling lots of extra holes...

If those are noggins you've shown, you don't need them in the roof...

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Firstly thanks for getting back to me.

So the red is brick wall, the blue is the steel.

So the timber spans the width of the extension and sits on the two outside walls. So I guess I don't need to even bolt the timber into the steel?
I thought it would just give some extra strength

I could go into the web of the steel, but thought maybe taking the weight off the steel and going from wall to wall might be better?

No, put all the load onto the steel - the steel beam will be far stronger than the timber so you are better off using that for all the load. Obviously depends on the size of the steel and timber members but a correctly designed steel will carry the weight of the roof and the wall above no problem.

Sponsored Links
Put the timber in the web. And you may need to chamfer the top and bottom and radius the corners to get it to sit flush up against the web.

Yeah the steel beam is probably overkill it's 254x102x22 beam so will be fine. BC is happy with it going on the steal or the timber

Timers 2x8s and the the room is 3.05m by 3.9m so it's not a massive span

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back