Bonding Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, haven't been on here for a while but have a query for those in the know. Under current regulations (Scotland), is cross bonding between a stainless steel sink and the copper water pipes still required even if the consumer unit is fitted with MCB's and RCD' ? Landlord of a flat that my son-in-law is looking at says it is not required. Landlord is a joiner to trade and his father is a retired sparkie so is his info up to date? Be greatful if someone could clear this up for me.
Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy replies. Just thought I would double check the current(pardon the pun) situation. I have always bonded the sink and pipes up till now but wasn't sure if the landlord was trying to pull a fast one. Now I know, thanks again.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Because it was abolised with the introduction of the 16th edition perhaps?

Well that's not cross bonding is it :rolleyes:

Stop being a dick and trying to confuse the op.

Cheers RF, they still make the new metal sinks with bonding poits so obviously nobody told them or they just want to give the consumer the choice to bond if they want. I aint a spark but have done a few re-wires etc over the years and have always had work checked by a sparkie mate. Henc the reason that I am not ''au fait '' with all the regs.

Don't worry about it. There's still plenty of electricians who cross bond metal sinks and pipework, and biler pipework too for that matter, because it's just what they've always done.

How can a metal sink wether supplied by metal or plastic pipes introduce a potential?

If it did introduce a potential (which it can't) it would need main bonding not supplementary bonding anyway.

Not sure what you are getting at Holmslaw as one of your posts has been deleted, supplementary bonding in a kitchen isn't a requirement of the current regs however main protective bonding is required where there are extraneous conductive parts such as a metal water service entering the premises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back