Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My consumer unit is split and has two RCD's protecting all the circuits.

The main earthing is a single cable from the main earthing terminal connecting the gas and incoming cold water.

I have a combi boiler, but I cannot see the any hot water pipe earthed.

Is that normal?

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I have a main earth coming in from the electricity provider. This goes to a terminal block. From this terminal block, an earth goes to the consumer unit, and also a separate earth goes first to the gas pipe and continues (unbroken) to the incoming water supply. It basically looks like the picture on your link.

I suppose I am thinking about the hot water pipe coming from the combi boiler (and come to think about it the radiator pipes) as I cannot see any earth on these???? Are they needed???

Thank you. I have a main earth coming in from the electricity provider. This goes to a terminal block. From this terminal block, an earth goes to the consumer unit, and also a separate earth goes first to the gas pipe and continues (unbroken) to the incoming water supply. It basically looks like the picture on your link. I suppose I am thinking about the hot water pipe coming from the combi boiler (and come to think about it the radiator pipes) as I cannot see any earth on these???? Are they needed???
The (only) purpose of the main bonding is simply to ensure that any pipe entering your house from outside is at the same potential as your installation's earth terminal, and hence the 'earths' throughout your installation (i.e. to ensure that a potential different from that of your installation's earth is not introduced from outside the property by pipes entering the property). Any other pipework which is wholly within your property cannot possibly introduce any other potential ('from outside') and therefore does not need main bonding. In practice, of course, if your house has copper plumbing, all of the pipework will end up effectively 'electrically joined', anyway.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The need for supplementary bonding (eathing) to hot/cold/rads is negated by the fact that all your circuits have RCD protection

So no, it's fine
SB

What happens if RCD fails and there is no supplementary bonding in place.

The need for supplementary bonding (eathing) to hot/cold/rads is negated by the fact that all your circuits have RCD protection
Well, that's certainly one of the conditions for omitting supplementary bonding in special locations. However, I suspect that the combi-boiler which concerns the OP is probably not in his bathroom, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks everyone.

So I take it that the hit water and central heating don't need "bonding".

Combi is in kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back