Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can sum1 just confirm summit. You bond all metal water and gas pipes within 500mm of entry to premises. Central heating system, do you bond them pipes if they are all copper? What about if some pipes are copper and sum are plastic, meaning there is no continuity?

Sponsored Links
The idea of the Main Bonding is to bond all metallic services to the installation's electrical earth where they enter the house. This is so they can't introduce a potential from outside. If not done, it might be possible to get a shock if you touched e.g. a water tap with one hand and an earthed kettle with the other.

As you have bonded then where they enter, they can't introduce a potential from outside, on a pipe further into the house. So the fact that some of the pipes might go from copper to plastic inside the house is not a problem, as they are not connected to an outside potential, once inside.

There is a similar point about supplementary bonding in the bathroom. Again, you bond the pipes to the CPCs when they enter the bathroom; that done, bathroom becomes an equipotential zone, and any potential brought into the bathroom (e.g. a fault on the CH pump affecting a radiator pipe) will bring all the other parts to the same potential, so you can't get a shock from touching e.g. a radiator with one hand and a tap with the other.

Bonding round the boiler is also similar; if the boiler case, and all the pipes round it, are all bonded together and to the CPC of the supply, a heating engineer will not get a shock from touching e.g. a pipe with one hand and the case with the other, even in the event of a fault which makes one of them live but has not operated fault protection.

it's not 500mm from where the service enters the building..
it's 600mm from the customer side of the stop tap or meter..
gas people don't like you bonding their incoming pipes to earth

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
it's not 500mm from where the service enters the building..
it's 600mm from the customer side of the stop tap or meter..
gas people don't like you bonding their incoming pipes to earth

Our gas regs state that gas has to be earthed within 600mm of gas meter and before the first T in the pipe work.

Since taking my part P I was led to believe that the electrical regs had been brought into line with the gas regs ;)

that's exactly what i said..

within 600mm of the stop tap for water or the meter for gas.. on the customer side..

gas4you said:
Since taking my part P...

This comment suggests that (in common with the majority of the trades, electricians included) you don't understand what Part P actually is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back