Borescopes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Trying to pick one of these up for DIY projects. Anyone have any knowledge of whether the WiFi models that display on your phone or tablet are better than the models that come with a screen of their own? 1080p screens are pretty much good quality now regardless of who makes them so I can see the advantage of the ones that come with their own screen and not messing with some app on your phone that could disappear one day or stop being developed. But, the app that can be downloaded to your tablet or phone and connected via its own WiFi network means you can use whatever size screen you want.
Is either one technically better optically or should I just be looking at display specs and features?

Sponsored Links
You want to get the cheapest wifi one that has reasonable reviews. I got the Depstech as it was reviewed by that cheeky YT chappy plumberparts.co.uk I previously had one that connects direct to the phone and it was a complete nightmare, very hard to use. There are two problems with any non-wifi (wired) one, one is that you need to twist the cable into horrible positions to get the screen right way up, and the other problem is anywhere outside you probably want to put the screen somewhere in shade and that can be inconvenient. I wouldn't worry too much about the app support, we live in a world where any of this cheap tat from China isn't going to physically last very long anyhow, I bought mine for a specific job that I couldn't do without it (without huge expense) so it's paid for itself. You can always bag a Bosch one for a small fortune if you have more money than sense.

I think the most important spec is going to be the diameter of the camera module, but it should be fairly easy for you to figure out what you want in that regard.

I've got one with a screen and, as shagster says, you have to twist the camera a bit to get it the right way up, (never used it in sunlight), and it can be a pain. But as I only use it for diy I find it acceptable. Can't remember the brand of it.

Saw this in the middle of Lidl the other day.

IMG_1564.jpeg

Sponsored Links
A lot of Ferrex stuff is actually manufactured by Scheppach, so maybe Aldi don't have a monopoly on it?

I bought one of these yesterday,

DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope

https://amzn.eu/d/4UvefhI

It seems fairly decent just testing it in the living room, the next few days I need to use it to inspect behind an engine and also look at some pistons inside an engine so it will get a decent test

Further to the above, I used the scope today to look at a leak on my x5 that's between the bulk head and the cylinder head.

IMG_20230820_140814.jpg

I poked the scope under the 2 hoses running left to right in the centre of the picture with it pointing towards the cylinder head on the right.

20230820140520421.jpg

20230820140641443.jpg

Those 2 pictures were taken with the app for the scope, as you can see it's a decent clear picture from the scope and I can clearly see the coolant is leaking from the bolts and not the gasket.

Camera diameter is 9mm, id have to check the focus another day but I'd of certainly been within 20mm for those pictures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back