Borg and Beck filters and brakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was aware they were famous for quality clutches but I discovered yesterday they also manufacture brake discs/pads and filter.

I presume their brakes and filters have the same quality pedigree as the clutches?

The prices are certainly reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Borg and Beck have been trade suppliers for decades - in those days the parts were British made.
Now they are part of the Firstline group which globally sources parts for distribution....where they originate from is anyone's guess. Being British backed they should be ok.
In the days of yore, I fitted Borg and Beck clutch parts - as indeed did everyone else and they were fine - other items weren't part of their agenda apart from some suspension items, and track rod ends springs to mind.
I've fitted Firstline drop links before (green box) and the quality was poor, I have to say - lasting only a year. Trouble is, I can't remember what I replaced them with :confused:
John :)

Just remembered - they were Quinton Hazell I used next time......no problems with that brand.
I've also used Frontline CV boots - they were ok, and also some Transit track rod ends which looked as if they were hewn by hand out of chinese railway lines :( I've no idea how long they lasted as the vehicle was written off soon after - presumably not due to a steering failure :eek:

Thanks John.

I shall try some Borg & Beck brakes and filters to satisfy my curiosity.

I got a Hengst brand fuel filter a while back and it was made in China. Its actually still to fit!

Sponsored Links
I had something Borg & Beck which wasn't a product that I would have associated with them, can't remember what it was now, wondered if it was 'badge engineering' what ever it was worked OK. I also have trouble with drop links but they all seem to be the same, I buy the ones with two flats behind the balljoint now, that you can get a spanner on, hexagon type ends don't work very well for me. A brush full of waxoil usually stops them seizing up completely.

Peter

The Frontline drop links were hardly lasting a year, hence me changing the make.
Like you Peter the allen or torx headed link ends were impossible to undo so I cut them off with an angle grinder. Potty idea!

What did Frontline have to say on the matter when drop links they supplied were failing?

I didnt return them, but I did mention it to the motor factor that I thought they were poor.
To be honest I’ve no idea what sort of warranty these things would have......they could have had very severe use.

My local factor has supplied me with some borg and beck filters the last few visits.
Problem is how do you judge an oil filters quality if the construction is ok.
No issues with fitment and build quality looked ok.

Problem is how do you judge an oil filters quality if the construction is ok.

Indeed!

Basically we rely on the integrity of the manufacturer to provides us with a quality product.

I've read that Bosch filters are 3rd party manufactured.
I've read articles over the past few years condemning Fram filters.
I got a Hengst brand diesel filter that was made in China and on the outside it looks very well made.

Hengst, like Mann, are a German based company.

Mann filters I've used were made in places like Korea and Brazil.

I guess its the same as engine oil......you hope you are getting the specification it says on the bottle o_O

VW have the Microbus made in Brazil......the build quality is truly dreadful :eek::eek: let's hope other things are better!

South Korean products should be as good as it gets......Kia / Hyundai are really picking up now.

Sponsored Links
Back