Bosch PMF 180E multitool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was using it yesterday and it just stopped.

Not fuse, got a chance to take it apart this evening and can't see any burnt components, it wasn't hot when it stopped.

There are four terminals on the stator (2 coils) One gives continuity and one doesn't.

Does that mean one of the stator windings has failed?

Sponsored Links
Not familiar with this tool but if there are two field coils & 4 terminals out of the stator then your thinking sounds logical to me ;)
On power tools normally the armature bites the dust long before the field coils fail.

It is the 240 V reciprocating saw (Multitool) so vibration could be a problem.

About 18 months old and not been used that much - DIY only.

Sponsored Links
i bought one wed before last at homebase. one year warranty with the tool, extended to 3 years for about £15 i think, not 100% sure about the charge but you had to pay to extend beyond one year

all bosch green is a 2 year warranty , but if youve lost the reciept then you've had it mate

You don't need a receipt, rather just a proof of purchase - bank or credit card statement or just a shopping bag.

There is no such thing as a 12 month warranty any more. Products are expected to last a "reasonable" length of time, which could be anything up to six years.

What is reasonably depends on the several factors - but a quality Bosch tool would be expected to last longer than a Fung-Yip one from the market

A DIY tool used a few times a year could arguably be expected to last a few years .... 2-3?

Web searches revealed that stator winding connections snap (the thin bit of wire winding where it joins the connector).

Looked at the stator again last night and sure enough, it has snapped.

Resoldered and going fine.

It would be bought on a credit card and we don't keep the bills that long. If it goes again quickly then I will replace it with something better. When I want to use it I want to use it, not spend time getting it fixed and this looks like a fault that will keep recurring.

Your Internet credit card account would have the transact showing in the statement history. Provide you can access if via Internet and that you signed up for Internet account pre the purchase date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back