Bosch PMF 180 E multitool fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Today after 3 1/2 years of light use my multitool decided to give up.

It doesn't have the fault that most seem to get - damaged winding.

When I turn it on, it oscillates in a very feeble way - I can stop the blade with my hand. Since opening it up, the motor also seems to get stuck a bit, making that noise when you stall a drill. The body also get's hot (only ran it for a couple of seconds like this).

Does this sounds like the brushes need replacing? Looking at them they looked OK to my untrained eye. They spring back and forward fine and make good contact.

Any advice appreciated - I know I can replace it for £45 but I don't want to dump it if this is all thats wrong :)

Sponsored Links
the weak link in the blue 10.8v one is the the plastic cog on the motor shaft that reduces vibration to the motor
the symptoms you describe are identical vibrates but weakly
the gear was not available separately so new tool that was a year or so ago

the weak link in the blue 10.8v one is the the plastic cog on the motor shaft that reduces vibration to the motor
the symptoms you describe are identical vibrates but weakly
the gear was not available separately so new tool that was a year or so ago

I also read that guide as well and got hopeful, but this 240v model seems different. I can turn the motor by hand and get what looks to be the correct vibration amount.

Thanks
Tim

Does the motor actually stall, Tim - or keep running as if the drive was damaged?
It does sound like its ready for the toolbox in the sky, unfortunately......is there any burning smell?
John :)

Sponsored Links
My bosch 10.8v packed up after 18 months. Couldn't figure out what went wrong so ended up binning it. :rolleyes:

Does the motor actually stall, Tim - or keep running as if the drive was damaged?
It does sound like its ready for the toolbox in the sky, unfortunately......is there any burning smell?

Full stall, since I opened it up. It did make that smell once it stalled, but I turned it off within a couple of seconds. What do you reckon?

I know a replacement isn't very expensive, but if some brushes will fix it I'd give it a go - such a shame to chuck it on the scrapheap!

I'd be very surprised if the brushes were faulty......so long as they are around 1/4" long and free to move in the holders then they are fine.
Usually, any smell of burning insulation means game over!

I'd be very surprised if the brushes were faulty......so long as they are around 1/4" long and free to move in the holders then they are fine.
Usually, any smell of burning insulation means game over!

Damn! Well, now to consider if I go for another cheapy one or get a Makita or something.

I'd like a battery one but my current Makita battery stuff doesn't have the right battery types!

Thanks for the assistance John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back