Bottled water

masona said:
I'm in two minds about this, I have a water filtration system which control Chlorine, Lead, Copper, Aluminium, Iron, Manganese, Pesticides & Herbicides.
PCV (prescribed concentration values) for pesticides and herbicides in drinking water supplied by the water company are extremely low at 0.1 ug/l (equivalent to an egg cup in an olympic swimming pool). There is very little, if any lead in water as it leaves a treatment works, the majority of lead found in drinking water comes from individual plumbing/use of illegal solder.

I have tested my tap water with the testing strip this morning and the Chlorine level is reading quite high
Just out of interest what would you classify as high?

which is also harmful to our health.
I don't believe that there are any proven long term health risks associated with chlorine at the levels found in drinking water, although if anybody knows otherwise I am willing to be educated.

The biggest problem in drinking water is bacteria, hence the need for chlorine. The majority of deaths associated with water (apart from drowning) are waterborne diseases such as Typhoid, Cholera etc. and usually occur in contaminated water supplies/wells.

On the subject of "recycling" water, I was at a meal once where somebody stood up to say grace.
It went along the lines of "Oh great Lord thou art divine, you once turned water into wine. Bless us all here, humble men. About to turn it back again..."

Sponsored Links
BoxBasher said:
masona said:
I have tested my tap water with the testing strip this morning and the Chlorine level is reading quite high
What do you classify as high?
The reading was at the top end of the colour charts, as you says what is classify as high?, well I'm thinking the higher the chlorine level the higher the risks(?).

BoxBasher said:
masona said:
which is also harmful to our health.
I don't believe that there are any proven long term health risks associated with chlorine at the levels found in drinking water, although if anybody knows otherwise I am willing to be educated.
Me too, I have many newspaper cuttings over the years regarding drinking water fears, one of them was from the Daily Mail written by Martyn Halle on February 29 2000. The Government have ordered a study with Dr Peter Mansfield from the Water Association
"Scientists have already found an association between chlorine and an increased risk of bowel, kidney and bladder cancer. Chlorine is in the same chemcal group as fluoride. Controversy has raged for years over adding fluoride to drinking water because of health fears. We should pay more attention to the chemicals we put in drinking water and look for alternatives to chlorination. 'A number of safe, non-toxic options exist, such as treating water with gas ozone or ultra violet'

I have another one here quoting Alzheimer's disease traces form aluminium in tap water and recommending them not to drink tap water but use mineral water instead. Thames Waters claimed the major source of aluminium is in food!

I have many more here, I have all the dates and newspaper headings, try doing google to put a link on here but no luck, unless there is a way of doing it?

as an ex water board worker , millions of years ago , one word fluoride, it was added in the late 1900s to water ......sodium fluoride..
bottled water cannot supply it as its a chemical ...;) but a very GOOD chem ......:) :) :)

The reading was at the top end of the colour charts, as you says what is classify as high?, well I'm thinking the higher the chlorine level the higher the risks
It depends on what level of chlorine the "top end" of your testing strips relate to. The minimum requirement for chlorine in drinking water is set at 0.01mg/l (1 ppm). There is no upper limit for Chlorine, however Chlorine is usually detectable by taste/odour at levels of around 0.7-0.8mg/l.

With regards to aluminium in tap water, you are more likely to be exposed to dangerous levels of aluminium from cooking in aluminium pans and the use of aerosol deodorants.

Fluoridation of tap water is another matter entirely, it is put in (in only a few areas) at the request of the health authority. The amount of fluoride that goes into water, in relation to how much we actually benefit from it being there just don't balance. If people aren't going to clean their teeth using toothpaste, then what difference is putting flouride in the water going to make, they are usually people who slurp sugary drinks all day and give their kids rubbish (not literally, thats illegal) and sweets to eat

Sponsored Links
BoxBasher
my point entirely a subclass nation of chavvy kids from scummy single mums ...Im sure the SR /"Bright ring of confidence ".... toothpaste isnt their regular buying product ..as in the 1900s , in there day understandable , but now NOT..for low income families

well, I must admit I begrudge paying for what I can get for free (ish) out of the tap, to me it doesnt taste a great deak diffrent, a little, but just a little.
Other half drinks it though, I have no objections, I dont know the entire process it goes through but I do feel the price of it is well overpriced for a product very similar in taste to a free one.

Reading all these concerns about drinking tap water and bottled water really worries me

me too [sound effect] Ptsshhhhhhhh[/sound effect]

Back