Bought wrong cylinder - we need thermal store - any advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we were advised incorrectly on a water cylinder for our hot water system £750 - we have been doing a barn conversion for the last 5 years - attemting to get out of caravans this winter.
we have done every thing ourselves - oak windows, doors the entire roof, underpining foundations etc but have been caught out on this occasion - our man has disappeared from the scene - any ideas.
we have put in underfloor heating downstairs and rads up stairs we will get solar hot water on roof in a couple of year and have built a wood burning range and stove with back boilers as our main heating system. I have done all the pipe work myself.

we would love to hear any comments.

Sponsored Links
Redesign the system to NOT use a thermal store!

We call them sludge buckets!

Tony

Sponsored Links
No, we don't ;).

OP, what cylinder is it?

Some can be adapted, although better to send it back and get the right one of possible.

we had it made with a twin coil - so its a non returnable

Here is the spec.

A kingspan copper Hot water cylinder 320 litre vented.

1800 x 500mm Ind G3 Twin Coil
Max working head 10 metres
Test Pressure 1.45 bar
2010 part L1a Compliant

If it is copper, and you plan on running it open vented then you can adapt it to work as a thermal store.

You could even put the second coil to use with an air source heat pump.

The warranty will be void though.

You don't need to do anything to the cylinder its just how you connect it up.

But most of us do not like thermal stores!

Tont

Have you ever done this yourself ?

Not from scratch, but I have worked on plenty.

My own thermal store is also sold as an unvented cylinder. However it is made of Stainless Steel and would be a nightmare to change.

Tony - some people have an irrational fear of thermal stores, but for linking multiple heat sources they remain the best method.

OP - you just need to add two tappings at the correct height to facilitate the connection of the plate heat exchanger for hot water generation. then use the appropriate combination of pump and blending valve.

Maybe two more larger ones for the solid fuel - although your HETAS man might be happy to use the cold inlet and the hot draw points.

The coils can then be used for solar, gas, ASHP etc.

Like i said though - your warranty on the cylinder will be voided

But most of us do not like thermal stores!

Tont

I love them! But it is important to know what you are doing... :mrgreen:

Like Dan said, they can be converted to work as thermal stores with a plate heat exchanger for your domestic hot water but even when I fit a thermal store, it ends up looking like the lovechild of the TARDIS and a bowl of spaghetti...

Dan, I'm not sure that using the cold water inlet and draw off outlet would work very well.... Best have a couple of extra tappings brazed in I think..

Yes I was pondering that as I typed it...

Leave the cold inlet as a nice full bore drain point :D. Hot outlet as the vent.

Do you do pairs of stats working as a buffer for non-solid fuel inputs?

Not really thought about it myself as I don't deal with it. took my Stores stats out and have it running through the Evohome hot water system - you can program the differential to work as you need which is handy as the season changes ;).

finding someone down here in Bridgwater, somerset to link up all the pipes - brazing in tapets etc and treating it as a thermal store would be difficult as its not the normal thing - what do you advise. if i was doing it myself i would need to find out what all the tapets did and which ones to use - i suppose i could go back to kingspan for the manual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back