Boulter 50-70 Economy Oil Boiler + Riello G5 Economy 50/70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of the above boiler/burner combinations to heat my bungalow and it was probably installed in 1999. It has been playing up for a couple of years by not starting up when it should.

When it refuses to start automatically, it can be started by manually pressing the "Reset" but occasionally needs a thump to get it moving. Various boiler "engineers" have charged me various sums to change the motor, realign the motor, clean the pump, flush out the oil supply lines, etc. but it always seems to end up, after a short while, with the same problem.

The fact that it sometimes needs a mechanical disturbance to set it going makes me think that there is a bit of mechanical interference somewhere - as the motor etc. slows down, when it switches off, it turns until it hits a "tight spot". Then, when it is called upon to start, it cannot initially overcome the resistance of the "tightspot".

Has anybody got any thoughts about where I should be looking to solve this problem. Riello don't list the burner and the Boulter boiler is long since out of production.

Are there any sources of information available, other than this forum, where I could get some expert advice?

CVB

Sponsored Links
A good beginning would be to replace the motor start capacitor.......directly, this tells the motor which way to start spinning.
John :)

A good beginning would be to replace the motor start capacitor.......directly, this tells the motor which way to start spinning.

Thanks for that, Burnerman. Would a tired capacitor produce the symptoms - intermittent failure to start - and are they standard parts or particular to each motor? Is it easy to fit - a couple of screws/bolts on the outside of the burner assembly - or do you have to take the motor off to get to it?

There is a similar boiler on Fleabay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131321429493?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT - but the model name is Classic rather than Economy. Apart from spelling, any idea what the difference is and if they are interchangeable.

CVB

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you want real piece of mind you can just change the entire burner for about £250 + labour then everything is new. You might be able to sell the old one for £50-£100 so it's not a huge outlay. I have done this on occasions where a couple of parts have failed at the same time and the burner is looking a bit 'tired'. Of course it will be a lot cheaper to find and replace the failing part but something to consider.

Sponsored Links
The capacitor you need, if you decide to go down that route, will likely be around the 4uf size.
Have a look at www.heating-parts.co.uk to see what you need.

I spoke today to a nice guy at Riello called Graham who works in their technical department. He came to the same conclusion as you, Burnerman, and suggested I replace the capacitor. I was given the part number and ordered one from Vitalise Trading on Ebay for £10. I'll let you know the outcome after I've fitted it.

Thanks for your help, guys.

CVB

The capacitor you need, if you decide to go down that route, will likely be around the 4uf size.
Have a look at www.heating-parts.co.uk to see what you need.

I spoke today to a nice guy at Riello called Graham who works in their technical department. He came to the same conclusion as you, Burnerman, and suggested I replace the capacitor. I was given the part number and ordered one from Vitalise Trading on Ebay for £10. I'll let you know the outcome after I've fitted it.

Thanks for your help, guys.

CVB

A quick update - the condenser arrived last Friday afternoon and I fitted it as soon as it arrived - quite an easy operation.

It has been running now for two days and has not missed a beat so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I've solved the problem with your help. If it all goes t*ts up, I'll be back looking for help.

Thanks guys

CVB

Well, it's been running, without missing a beat, for over a month so thanks to all the contributors for saving me from wasting yet more money with so-called experts.

CVB

The secret is in the 'thump' ....... :p
Basically it causes the motor to 'excite' and get cracking.......an old trick with dynamos!
We appreciate the update, and hope it keeps going!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back