Boulter Camray 15/19 external wall hung boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Camray 15/19 wall hung boiler. When the service engineer came to service this the baffle box end had melted! I think this box has been put in the wrong way round. According to the picture in the service manual it shows the end plate with the large centre hole furthest away from the burner but this service engineer advises me that it should be closest to the burner.
I ahve opened up the boiler today and to my dismay the end plate has started to melt again. Which way does this go round? Worcester can't help me one bit as the boiler is obselete.

Someone here must have serviced one of these boilers recently?

Sponsored Links
There should be a ceramic target plate in the baffle.

There is an asbestos type material in the end of the baffle. Now, does this face the burner? The drawing shows it this way, but the last service engineer had it facing the back wall. I think this is why it has melted.

For the baffle to 'melt', the boiler must be overfiring, or the flue ways are obstructed. I wonder whether at some time, the fuel pump has been changed and left on the factory setting (8 bar) instead of the specified setting. Did your engineer check the pump pressure when servicing?
I'm not familiar with the external Camray specifically, but would have thought it basically the same as the internal, where the exit from the combustion chamber is past a fixed waterway and is at the front of the chamber, so can understand what your engineer is saying. Also from memory, all Camrays have the flue pass at the front of the boiler when the baffles are in the correct position. The baffle supports usually give a clue as to the correct position as if fitted wrongly, the support closes off the passage.

Sponsored Links
Hi Alhen, I am trying to obtain baffles for the identical boiler but with little luck. Any info?
Randell

Hi Alhen, I am trying to obtain baffles for the identical boiler but with little luck. Any info?
Randell

We got one in 2009 despite being told by 3 oftec technicians that it was obsolete and it was obtained from Worcester Bosch.
Dont know if they still have any.
Part No is SC 08001C as per Boulter Camray manual but aka
Part No as 87161099450 at Worcester Bosch.
The baffle is installed with the baffle liner (white material circa 25mm thick) nearest the burner. Melting may occur if installed incorrectly (as ours did once !!) even if everything else is OK with oil pressure etc.

I have a manual if anyone needs a photocopy. (November 1995 Camray 15/21 )

I found a box baffle using the Worcester Bosch part number but I cannot find the top plate baffle or even a current number for it. The engineer is forecasting certain doom for the boiler in due course (failure of the water jacket). Suggestions gratefully received.
Randell

If youve got the box baffle.....sometimes refferred to as the (Chair).
Then youve got the most important baffle. The top one can be left out if you cant get a replacement for it.

If the Engineer faced the Chair baffle backwards!!! thats why it distorted.

If you carry on using him then more fool you.

If youve got the box baffle.....sometimes refferred to as the (Chair).
Then youve got the most important baffle. The top one can be left out if you cant get a replacement for it.

If the Engineer faced the Chair baffle backwards!!! thats why it distorted.

If you carry on using him then more fool you.

Hi Slapper thanks for your reply, I was hoping the box baffle was the important one.

Randell

We got one in 2009 despite being told by 3 oftec technicians that it was obsolete and it was obtained from Worcester Bosch.
The baffle is installed with the baffle liner (white material circa 25mm thick) nearest the burner. Melting may occur if installed incorrectly (as ours did once !!) even if everything else is OK with oil pressure etc.

Hi lads, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm doing some research for a neighbour who hasn't got internet.

I've been trying to confirm if the part number quoted above will DEFINITELY fit the Camray 15-19 boiler, as I've asked Worcester who say all the Camray info has been deleted from their database and so are unable to help..... :cry:

I've found the part on the net but don't want to recommend to my neighbour to go ahead and buy it without being 100% sure first. Otherwise, it's new boiler time for them.... :unsure:

Randell

Hi lads, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm doing some research for a neighbour who hasn't got internet.

I've been trying to confirm if the part number quoted above will DEFINITELY fit the Camray 15-19 boiler, as I've asked Worcester who say all the Camray info has been deleted from their database and so are unable to help..... :cry:

I've found the part on the net but don't want to recommend to my neighbour to go ahead and buy it without being 100% sure first. Otherwise, it's new boiler time for them.... :unsure:

The advantage of resurrecting an old thread is that there is always bound to be someone else who is interested in it, and discovers it through Mr Google.

I can't unfortunately directly answer your question - I have a Camray 2 15/21 which shows this part number as 'Combustion Chamber Baffle c/w Insulation'.

What you and the previous contributions have done is to confirm for me that this is the item I want as there is also a 'Flueway Baffle', so the irony is that you have helped me !!

Maybe by now you have gone ahead with the purchase, but if you want me to measure the key dimensions of the SC 08001C, let me know.

Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for your post and the offer of help.

Are you saying that the part SC 08001C is common to the 15/21 model too?

Neighbour's one is quite high up on the wall [and currently in use, obviously :D ] so dimensions would be good.

Ideally, it'd be good to source one so that a pattern one could be made up from that in advance of the next service - then it'd be a simple swop out without the boiler being out of action. Do you have one? I suppose the insulation material is the crucial component in the part - sourcing that could be difficult??

Best of all would be if the part nr 87161099450 was a direct replacement, but I'm struggling to find any confirmation of that and it'd be pointless buying one to fit it didn't fit the bill.

Cheers,
John

Hi John

Certainly Brownbadger's post higher up is pretty confidant that it is the same part, and I would be prepared to go with that.

Having said that the price on the web varies widely (£125 to £220!), assuming that it is still available and not just databases that have not been updated.

The problem is that the refractory material on the front of the baffle that absorbs and spreads the flame has finite life. I bought in a sheet of something similar from the local heating shop, which is some 12mm thick and built up a new one from 4 layers. That works for about 18 months - the real one lasted 18 years!

Why anyone should think that the whole box goes in the other way round I am a loss to understand as amongst other things it has a handle on the flame end to pull it out by.

I take it reading a bit between the lines of your post that this is not critical ? I hope that's the case as having got mine back into working state under lousy weather conditions yesterday (had to replace the temperature controller and its bulb too), I am not that willing to go and dismantle it today!!! :rolleyes: Further I am tied up now till the the second week in January.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'd seen the part(s) listed on various sites but was reluctant to recommend buying to my neighbour in case he wasted the money on a part which wouldn't fit.

No panic with his as his boiler is working OK for the moment, but he's been told that the baffle is on the way out. Getting a pattern replacement made could be the solution and would be no problem, subject [as you discovered] to being able to source suitable insulation material..... :unsure:

No hurry on the measurements, but if you're prepared to do them when you get a chance, that'd be great. :D

All the best to you and yours for a great Christmas and a Happy Hogmanay.
John

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'd seen the part(s) listed on various sites but was reluctant to recommend buying to my neighbour in case he wasted the money on a part which wouldn't fit.

No panic with his as his boiler is working OK for the moment, but he's been told that the baffle is on the way out. Getting a pattern replacement made could be the solution and would be no problem, subject [as you discovered] to being able to source suitable insulation material..... :unsure:

No hurry on the measurements, but if you're prepared to do them when you get a chance, that'd be great. :D

All the best to you and yours for a great Christmas and a Happy Hogmanay.

John

Hi John - Many thanks for the seasons greetings; it is a significant attribute of internet comms between people sharing an interest that they also share, despite being miles apart and are pretty unlikely to ever meet, such friendship. Greetings to you, your friend and all your families - and you've got 1.5 hours to read that or you're a sad ****** for switching on your computer on Christmas Day :LOL:

The problem even with getting a box made up is that I suspect it will cost even more than the Worcester one, and will have problems with the refractory material. The one problem I have making that item up from thinner plates is holding them in place; some sort of adhesive would be better than wedging them in with screws through some bits of added steel plate. All ad hoc and leads to short life for that mod!

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back