Bouncy floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking of laying ceramic tiles in our kitchen, which has a chipboard floor covered in vinyl tiles in quite good condition. The problem is that the floor is quite 'bouncy', in that when the washing machine is spinning the bottles in the wine rack on top of the fridge all rattle, and in fact if I jump up and down in the middle of the floor everything rattles! Is that a problem? Do I need to put down ply?

Sponsored Links
Chipboard is a terrible material for floors, especially in a room that contains water.

I recommend you take out all the appliances and cupboards and pull up the chipboard (you will be surprised at how spongy and cracked it is) and screw down 18mm or 25mm WBP ply direct to the joists.

Others will suggest putting ply on top of the chipboard, but the chipboard is pretty well useless so you would be better off pulling it up. this will also save the floor height being raised so much

I recently did mine like that, and I left the section under the sink and along the wall where the pipes and cables are, separate so that it could be lifted for future maintenance. it is a terrible job getting under a fixed floor later.

Thanks for your advice. The chipboard is fairly recently laid and I don't think we're up to the job of completely laying a new floor, particularly as there's a 6 ft drop underneath it! If we had to do this we probably wouldn't fit the tiles at all.

why would anyone put chipboard down in a kitchen? actually why would anyone put chipboard down anywhere?

the floor should be a MINIMUM 25mm especially in a kitchen.

rip out the old start again fella, youll feel far happier in the long run

Sponsored Links
Hey! Don't blame me about the chipoard! We only rent the house at the moment and I know it's chipboard because I saw them lay the floor when they replaced the kitchen units. We can put new flooring down or whatever, but I'm not sure that we want to go quite as far as replacing the entire floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back