Box and studwork before or after floor in ensuite?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working on my ensuite. I've taken all the bath/basin/WC and floorboards out, so it's just a shell now; pipes are across the floor (cement between joists), cut down into it a little.

I need to create some box work for the waste pipe, and also a small stud wall to enclose the shower.

Should I do the pipework and put the floor down first (chipboard only; tiling obviously will come after box and studwork), or should I build the box and stud wall directly onto the joists, and then lay the floor?

Does it really matter?

Sponsored Links
If you're putting down a chipboard floor, then you'll need to lay the pipework first, but it's a bit of a juggling act with getting everything in the right place as well. Ideally the stud wall will go up first though to allow you to work out the placement of everything. It's easy to do final adjustments to copper when it comes out of the floor, but not so easy to adjust wastepipes, so these need to be set out more carefully.

Consider stud wall first, loose lay the chipboard and set out the sanitary ware. work out where all pipework will go through the floor, and lift the boards and do the pipe work, then fix down the chipboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back