Boxing in Radiator Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

So I've recently moved to my first home and already I have a few bits to upgrade and update on.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to box in radiator pipes that have been run along walls.
My flat has all solid internal walls so this task is that little bit harder.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Have used some products from 'penndock encasement' but usually buy some sheet and batten as is much cheaper.

Thank you for your replies, I'll take some photos tonight and post them tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Morning,

I've attached photos of the various radiator pipes around the flat, and would love some ideas on how to best cover them up, by boxing them in.

I've searched online and noticed some people use mdf, anyone used plaster board for a smoother finish.

Would appreciate some ideas on how to cover them and try to blend them to the walls and coving.

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• pipes 1.jpg
    pipes 1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 3,321
  • pipes 2.jpg
    pipes 2.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 981
  • pipes 3.jpg
    pipes 3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 927
  • pipes 4.jpg
    pipes 4.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 890
  • pipes kitchen.jpg
    pipes kitchen.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 871
you could use Talon snap and clip pipe covers - from SF an others, or similar plastic pipe covers. it will be well fidly but doable if you take your time.maybe a mitre box would help for corners.

Looks a mess with little thought to appearance, you will struggle to box in , pipe covers are the best you could hope for.

I've searched online and noticed some people use mdf, anyone used plaster board for a smoother finish.
Plasterboard is no smoother and requires corner beading and skimming to finish. In situations (such as at floor level) it is very vulnerable to damage - which is why professional joiners, etc use MDF or plywood. It also requires some form of timber framing beneath it. Of the two MDF tends to paint out far better.

The quick way, used by people in social housing, offices, etc are commercial systems such as Pendock and Talon - mainly for speed, although they also tend to be smaller in section than home-made boxing-in

TBH your pipework is an absolute mess. I think the best approach would be to use the lowest profile pipe boxing that you can find from a firm such as Talon

Or just do a proper job, box out in either mdf or plasterboard on a frame and redo the covings where needs be. That's the only way you'll get it to look correct. Those covings will need to come down and new ones set further across.

Now as photos have arrived,boxing in will help some areas.

Personally we would re-pipe re-route the to conceal the pipes. doing a similar job next week,weather permitting (y)

Morning Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback and the Ideas I really appreciate it.

I agree it looks a total mess, not sure if it was the because the previous owner did it on the cheap as it was a rental property in an area where the demand for rental properties is high, or because of the solid walls and floor didn't give him much option. I reckon it was the first as all the properties in our street have a similar and layout and most of the pipes are out of site, might ask around to see how they covered theirs as from photos most pipes are hidden away.

I'll look at the Pendock and Talon options mentioned.

Thanks again.

Any photos of before and after Old&cold as I might go down that route too on some areas.

...not sure if it was the because the previous owner did it on the cheap as it was a rental property in an area where the demand for rental properties is high, or because of the solid walls and floor didn't give him much option
If you were doing it "properly" you'd tend to run the pipework beneath he floor or above the ceiling with runs up and down the wall chased back into the wall and maybe plastered over. I've also boxed pipework at floor level into extra deep skirtings on many occasions over the years. TBH I think it was done on the cheap, or done by someone who frankly didn't know any better

If you were doing it "properly" you'd tend to run the pipework beneath he floor or above the ceiling with runs up and down the wall chased back into the wall and maybe plastered over. I've also boxed pipework at floor level into extra deep skirtings on many occasions over the years. TBH I think it was done on the cheap, or done by someone who frankly didn't know any better

I think it was done on the cheap too, as the flat has solid walls, floors and ceilings and this would've made it harder to hide without making it more expensive for him.

I think I'll have to re-pipe and re-route them to a level that will keep boxing to a minimum and more discrete.

Thank you

Last edited:
Boxing is going to make that lot look worse- obv paid for by someone who had no intention of living in the place. Yes solid floors makes the job trickier but if you plan it carefully you can make it look a lot better. Shame really, the actual pipework is done quite neatly (all nice and parallel except that up angle under the coving and the crossover between the windows). Depending on the layout of the rooms it might be easier to put manifolds in and then hide microbore behind skirtings/covings. Or you could try stripping the paint off and going for the steampunk look with lots of polished copper :)

Or you could try stripping the paint off and going for the steampunk look with lots of polished copper :)
Always assuming that it is copper pipe. And those pipe clips look more like plastic ones rather than the Munson ring type ones you'd need for a full "steam punk" effect

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back