boxing

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Watched it a couple of hours ago (Sky+), and thought the referee in the Khan v Limond match was possibly negligent in not stopping the fight in the seventh round, but to let the match continue to the end of the eighth without any obvious concern for Limonds welfare, I thought was totally unacceptable. Mrs Holybloke had to leave the room and was quite distressed for sometime after (girls eh?), but I have to admit to feeling quite uncomfortable about what happened myself.

I did a bit of amateur stuff in my late teens-early twenties, and one of the golden rules was "protect yourself at all times", the failure or inability of a fighter to do this effectively, should result in the referee stopping the fight and declaring the result a TKO.

The fundemental reasoning behind this is that boxers are conditioned physically and mentally to fight from the first minute they step into an amateur gym.

The type and repetetive intensity of training schedules that professional boxers experience, are specifically designed to engineer an instinctive abilty to continue to "fight" beyond the "normal" envelope of human endurance. Quitting is not an option (Roberto "no mas" Duran excepted), and therefore it is primarily the referee's responsibility to protect a boxer who is unable to effectively protect himself.

It was completely apparent that from the middle of the seventh, Limond was pretty much out on his feet, not only was he incapable of effectively protecting himself, but also apparently incapable of deciding which Amir Khan to hit.

Respect to Willie Limond, I thought he looked like the winner after the fifth. I felt they were pretty much even on points with maybe Khan 1 ahead, but Limond was walking through most of Khan's good shots, and Khan was struggling to adapt.

Respect to Amir Khan, picked himself up of the canvas and finished his opponent, that's what a good fighter does (still not convinced myself that he ranks up there though).

The referee? I think if he looks at that again he might wonder what he was thinking.

Yes it's a man's game, yes both boxers accept the risk by climbing through the ropes etc. etc. etc.

By my reckoning, the actuallity is that Khan was allowed to subject Limond to an extreme physical battering, firstly by the referee, and secondly by Limond's own corner. IMHO Limond's longterm welfare was largely ignored by the very people who are specifically charged with the responsibility of protecting it.

If that was a street fight, someone would be doing time.

And the boxing authorities wonder why people want the sport banned.
?

No need, sort it out.

PS Skelton v Sprott? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It seems to be me that the reason some people want boxing banned is precisely because the authorities are incapable of sorting it out.

If I understand it correctly, the result of the game is scored and judged according to a consensus of three people, but the decision about whether or not a person is being permanently brain-damaged in front of everyone's eyes is left to just one person.

Softus said:
It seems to be me that the reason some people want boxing banned is precisely because the authorities are incapable of sorting it out.

If I understand it correctly, the result of the game is scored and judged according to a consensus of three people, but the decision about whether or not a person is being permanently brain-damaged in front of everyone's eyes is left to just one person.

Your understanding is correct, but it ain't a game ;)

Correct also that the authorities tend only to react when a boxer is brain damaged or killed, and the anti-boxing bandwagon rolls again.

It seems nobody has the boxer's interests at heart, everybody is in it for themselves, but the man in the ring is the one taking all the risks.

Do you think there is too much responsibility on the referee? I've never really thought about it before, but it seems you're suggesting the judges should have a say in stopping a fight, like that "talent" show where each judge presses a button when they've seen enough of an act? Three buttons pressed - game over?

If that's what you meant, I would agree - it certainly wouldn't make matters worse.

Incidentally, it took a doctor at the ringside to state that Limond was "unable to continue" due to a broken jaw and nose, that was actually incorrect. Due to his conditioning, Limond was not only capable of continuing but he actually wanted to, the fact that a doctor had to intervene was plain wrong, boxers need to be protected from themselves at times, but how often do you see the cornermen throw the towel in?

pjholybloke said:
Your understanding is correct, but it ain't a game ;)
As I think you suspected, I was being mischievous.

Do you think there is too much responsibility on the referee?
Yes.

I've never really thought about it before, but it seems you're suggesting the judges should have a say in stopping a fight, like that "talent" show where each judge presses a button when they've seen enough of an act? Three buttons pressed - game over?
Yes. It also wouldn't harm the game if Simon Cowell were to present his acidic opinions at that very juncture.

I never see the towel being thrown in because I don't tend to watch any matches. It isn't that I don't align with the desire to watch, it's more that than the feeling of it being wrong is more significant. I don't want it banned, because I know perfectly well that it would go underground with worse and more frequent injuries, but Formula One is still popular despite the ghoulish element having been effectively reduced to nil, so I don't see why boxing can't be made to be safe but still feel dangerous.

Know wha' ah meeeen 'Arry?

:LOL: I know exactly what you mean. I don't believe in a ban either, truth be told I don't believe in "banning" anything, rather pointless.

What it boils down to is that punters wont pay millions of dollars to watch pay-per-view fights unless there's a chance of a knockout. The people who make the money out of the game, wont let that money go - sooooo who gives?

Headguards and 24oz gloves is the only way to go, to me the biggest danger element in boxing was offering yourself up as a fighter - and getting battered around like a prat! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back