Brake squeak in fiat punto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I own a 2004 Fiat Punto Active Sport 1.2 which has done 18,000 miles.
I have owned the car for around 2 months now, and after driving about 6 or 7 miles, the brakes make a repeating squeaking sound when the car is in a slight left hand turn. The sound seems to be coming from the front right hand wheel.
This isn't a continuous sound, but is more like "squeak squeak squeak squeak". The frequency of this squeak increases as the speed of the car increases. Once you hit 80mph, the squeak is pretty much continuous.
When I apply the brakes, even so gently that it has no effect on the speed of the car, this noise stops completely.
Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hopefully when you take the wheel off it will be obvious what the squeak is. Usually a stone chip trapped against the brake disk.

Just a bit worried that you only hear it on the corners, so give the top of the wheel a little pull out, push in, to see if you have any play.

Oh, and have a wee look at the brake pads for wear ...........

Time for the brakes to be stripped out, all the parts cleaned with a wire brush, coppaslip applied on all moving bits and the back of the pads - and all put back together again!
Avoid the brake dust if you can.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back