Clicking Brakes (05 Seat Ibiza)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a strange clicking from my near side front when braking at slow speeds.

The click is most noticeable when crawling in traffic, under normal traffic conditions I have not heard it. The noise will go away if the brake pressure is increased, or decreased. There is an 'anti sweet spot' where it happens.

I had both sides jacked up today with the wheels off to change the drop links (cause of noise, but not that particular one) and the only thing I could find was that the outside pad moves slightly in the caliper, where as the others have no play in them. However I would have thought if it was the pad moving and hitting the caliper it would happen only once per braking session? Nothing else appears to be worn/lose, and as this only happens when braking at a certain pressure I don't think it can be anything but brakes (but as with all odd car noise solutions... I'm open to suggestion as I once spent months trying to sort what I thought was a NS rear squeak... and it turned out to be OS bearing!).

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If the brake pad is slightly slack in its guides, you can expect a click on braking, but its only the one click until you brake again in reverse.
Does the calliper have stainless steel pad guides on these cars? I can' t remember but I have done them before.
Is the brake disc in good condition on the inside, and how worn are the pads......could the disc be gently touching the back plate?
John :)

Hi John

There are no metal guide plates on mine. I have checked the clearance of the (slowly disintegrating) back plate, all seems ok.

I changed the discs and pads in February due to an MOT failure on pads, and warning of a lip on the discs. I notice I already have a slight lip after around 3000 miles. There is still plenty of meat left on the pads.

If I manually move the brake pad to simulate it hitting the caliper the noise is very similar to what I hear. But I'm really confused about why it is happening - I assume - once per rotation of the disk.

I think the next course of action will be a strip/clean/assemble.

Did you fit quality pads, such as Apec or Pagid?
On one occasion I have noticed a size discrepancy, and those were Halford ones.
There's no evidence of drive shaft issues, is there.....clicking on full lock for example?

Sponsored Links
Just check that the ABS reluctor ring (where the drive shaft enters the hub) hasn't cracked and come loose.
Eicher stuff should be fine - Eurocarparts supply these.

Will get the car back on the jack tomorrow and have a look. Can't get a proper look with the wheel on.

Thanks for your help.

Back