Scraping noise rear wheel arch- VW Scirocco 2010 1.4 petrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post here but everyone seems very helpful so hoping for a few pointers,

I have a 2010 VW scirocco 1.4 petrol with just over 100k miles on the clock.

I bought the car 6 months ago and initially there was a slight squeaking from the rear wheels when accelerating or braking but could hear it match up to the revolutions of the tires so wasn’t the brakes. It came and went a few times so didn’t pay much attention but in the last few weeks it has now been accompanied by an ominous scraping noise when at slow speeds especially on turns or differing gradient. It sounds like something scraping off the wheel arch but have checked if anything is caught of jammed and can’t seem anything out of the ordinary.

I have booked into a local garage on Wednesday but don’t have the first idea what it might be and don’t want to get ripped off. Any ideas on what might be the cause of this so that I don’t get taken for a ride by them as the car is 2010 so presume they will find multiple things wrong especially if they see I’m not too car literate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated for either issue and if more detail is needed please let me know.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Good call Harry.....if you could jack the back of the car up Conrad, the scraping noise may still be there.
Its frequent that the backplate rubs on the disc, and dead easy to bend it out of the way.
John :)

If you think you may be ripped off by your local garage find somewhere else to take it. I have 2 that I use and trust both of them to do the job properly. Mind you I would know if they were pulling a fast one.

Sponsored Links
Check your rear brake pads for wear as they may have a audible warning for low pads (built onto the pad is a pice of soft metal which when pads low rub on the disc )

Thanks all, the backplate, pads and discs were all knackered so getting them all replaced. Thanks all for the help!

Back