Brand new chainsaw won't run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. Bought a tanka tcs33eb on Tuesday. They built it and had it running before I went to collect it. Brought it out to play for the first time today and it won't run. I've bn at it for over an hour and I'm utterly pumped from pulling that dam cord. I use gardening machines everyday for my work but never owned a chainsaw.

I've followed the instructions to the letter but it won't go. Kicks into life for a split second and cuts out. It won't idle. If you try to press the throttle as it's half running it just dies. I've Tryed all I can think of and taking bk to he shop isn't an option as there closed Saturday and Sunday and I'm needing it sorted for a job on Sunday. It also has black, oily liquid coming out the exhaust after its bn trying to run. Smells like fuel.

Please help. I'm loosing my mind.

Sponsored Links
First you do not "play" with a chain saw.

You have been using the choke too much, so now the cylinder is full of oil/petrol mix.

Are you also using the correct oil/petrol mix ratio and the correct type of oil in the mix.

I suggest you find out how the choke system works - read instructions - then remove and clean the sparking plug to remove any oil film. If you wash it in a little neat petrol this'll take the oil film off.

When you try to start the engine you should use choke, then as soon as it coughs you remove the choke and a couple of pulls should get it going.

I assume the kick-back brake is not active

First you do not "play" with a chain saw.

You have been using the choke too much, so now the cylinder is full of oil/petrol mix.

Are you also using the correct oil/petrol mix ratio and the correct type of oil in the mix.

I suggest you find out how the choke system works - read instructions - then remove and clean the sparking plug to remove any oil film. If you wash it in a little neat petrol this'll take the oil film off.

When you try to start the engine you should use choke, then as soon as it coughs you remove the choke and a couple of pulls should get it going.

I assume the kick-back brake is not active

Of course safety first as there not toys.

Fuel mixture is 50:1 as on the machine its self. 100ml of 2stroke to 5ltrs of unleaded.

So im guessing ive over done it with the trying and trying and trying method.

Instructions state to engage the brake to start with then disengage once running.

Many thanks.

Yes engage to start, if it will start at tick over?

But, when you rev it to keep it going the drive to the chain locks in and stalls the engine against the chain brake.

So if you feel confident enough, release the brake and this will allow the engine to run on the choke (fast tick over) and also allow you to rev it up to keep it going until it dries out inside. If you don't feel comfortable, wait and tip back with it to the shop.

Sponsored Links
If you think the thing is flooded - plug out, turn the machine upside down and pull the cord......if liquid spurts out, its flooded!
Starting the thing with the chain brake on is nonsense.
John :)

Yes engage to start, if it will start at tick over?

But, when you rev it to keep it going the drive to the chain locks in and stalls the engine against the chain brake.

So if you feel confident enough, release the brake and this will allow the engine to run on the choke (fast tick over) and also allow you to rev it up to keep it going until it dries out inside. If you don't feel comfortable, wait and tip back with it to the shop.

Ive tryed both ways but it still wont start. Going by then replys I recon its me not doing it right. Ive taken the sparkplug out and cleaned it. I can see the black oily stuff in the chamber. Il give it another go tomorrow cause I just dont have the energy to fight with it lol. Il study the instructions again.

Thanks for the advice sir.

To start a pesky two stroke......make sure its not flooded courtesy of my post above, then:
Full choke, full throttle, chain brake off
Pull recoil cord until the machine fires once
Choke off, full throttle, pull cord again
Bingo!

To start a pesky two stroke......make sure its not flooded courtesy of my post above, then:
Full choke, full throttle, chain brake off
Pull recoil cord until the machine fires once
Choke off, full throttle, pull cord again
Bingo!

Cheers john. I asume the full throttle part is just one press and not hold it in.

I don't know that particular machine, but usually the throttle trigger has a catch that allows it to be held open when starting.....without this, there's no chance!
Many machines have a throttle position when set to a cold start keeps the throttle wide and the choke on for you.

Some have a latch on the choke, so when you pull the choke, it holds the throttle on as well. When you push the choke back in, the latch still keeps the engine revving until you trigger the throttle. But this depends on the manufacturer. Just the chain will be live and turning as you know, when the engine is running above thick over.

Leave the plug out overnight and take the instructions and have a read in bed. There might just be something you are missing on the start up procedure.

Think of the money you are saving on gym membership

Some have a latch on the choke, so when you pull the choke, it holds the throttle on as well. When you push the choke back in, the latch still keeps the engine revving until you trigger the throttle. But this depends on the manufacturer. Just the chain will be live and turning as you know, when the engine is running above thick over.

Leave the plug out overnight and take the instructions and have a read in bed. There might just be something you are missing on the start up procedure.

Think of the money you are saving on gym membership

lol true. Thanks again.

i have the hitachi version of this saw and its pretty identical.

The absence of a primer bulb makes it a pig to start occasionally.

What you want to do is have it on full choke with the little knob pulled right out and obviously make sure start button is on.

keep pulling it until it tries to start and splutters. probably about 7/8 pulls if its anything like mine.

Then put it to half choke, this is the difficult bit because half choke is the little knob in the middle position, this is probably where you are going wrong and you are pushing it right in to the no choke position as its quite a delicate touch to find the difference between the two. Then give it 1 or 2 pulls in the mid position and it should start and begin to run.

If it continues running leave it running for 10 seconds and then push the knob right in to switch it to no choke.

If at mid position it fires but dies after a second then keep it on 1/2 choke for another 2 pulls. If after the above 2 pulls it is still firign but dying straight away then switch it to no choke and give it a pull with full throttle obviously do this is a safe position with chain away from you

There is no throttle lock on mine anyway so yours is probably the same.

Ok so been at it for about half an hour and still cant get it buy the initial startup. Its fired up twice for about 8 secs then just dies. Its stinking of fuel and theres still loads of black stuff coming out the eexhaust.

Im hoping its just me. Ive bn back through the instructions and been on youtube looking at vids on starting a chainsaw like a total noob lol. Tge fact that it runs and revs for that small time makes me wonder if its a fueling issue. Ie only runs till the primer fuel runs out.

If it runs for 8 sec or so there's nothing wrong with your technique - so long as the choke is off by then. Often its a tip to juggle with the choke to see if it will cut in again.
Are you certain the fuel mix is correct - 50:1 if synthetic oil?
Maybe you could take the saw back and see what they say.

If it runs for 8 sec or so there's nothing wrong with your technique - so long as the choke is off by then. Often its a tip to juggle with the choke to see if it will cut in again.
Are you certain the fuel mix is correct - 50:1 if synthetic oil?
Maybe you could take the saw back and see what they say.

Hi john. Choke id off by that point and ive tryed to play with the choke to see if its that bit still no luck.

Took the spark plug out and left the machine to dry for an hour, cleaned the plug and even tryed heating the end before putting it bk in still no joy. To give you an idea, its used a tank of fuel since last night when I filled it and its still not ran.

Yeh definitely 50:1 . Intructions confirm.
Its definitely going back.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back