Brand new property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wife wants to go for wireless as it's less mess i'm not too sure. Are wired alarms better than wireless??

Carpets are due to go down on thursday - do installers prefer to do the work without carpets or does it not make too much difference.

If theres anyone out there in north east area who fits them or can be recommended i'd be grateful.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Personally I would recommend a wired system because they are far less tempremental than wireless systems.

Most wired systems are wired in from above so it makes no difference whether you have carpets installed or not.

As to recommended alarm installers - avoid the MAJOR installers advertising on the TV.

To anyone who has installed one of these well advertised alarm systems take a close look at your phone bill for those premium rate 0870 or 0871 numbers appearing on your bill because every time you set and unset your alarm system a call will be made from your alarm system - I bet they didn't tell you that when you bought the alarm system!

I suggest you get your facts right first

To anyone who has installed one of these well advertised alarm systems take a close look at your phone bill for those premium rate 0870 or 0871 numbers appearing on your bill because every time you set and unset your alarm system a call will be made from your alarm system - I bet they didn't tell you that when you bought the alarm system!

1) 0870 and 0871 are NOT premium rate numbers (they are national call rate)

2) Commercial premises have to have "open / close" signals domestic premises DON'T

and as a point about phone numbers what would you prefer then 0800?

oh yes please, they are free. Really?

They are free to the caller,

But who pays the bill? the alarm company,

Who pays the alarm company? the user does, so the 0800 numbers are no longer free.

I agree with your other other comments though

1) 0870 and 0871 are NOT premium rate numbers (they are national call rate)
0870 is "national rate" which generally means something like what a national call would have cost on a BT line before they moved everyone (or almost everyone, i'm not sure if there are any exceptions) to BT together

0871 is a special rate range, iirc up to 10p per minuite is allowed.

So they are not exactly "premium rate" but for most people they are considerablly more expensive than calls to ordinary geographic numbers.

But whatever IMO if the owner of any alarm should be clearly warned of the likely phone costs it will accrue..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back