Brands of Lead Acid Battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not strictly the right forum but a question about lead acid batteries so seemed the most appropriate.

The battery in my APC UPS is in need of replacement.

The cost of the genuine APC part is prohibitively expensive and there are numerous sellers of replacement UPS batteries who supply various "kits" which consist of 2x 12V 12Ah AGM batteries, for example the Yuasa NP12-12, which are identical in size to the APC originals.

Many of these brands I haven't heard of but I am familiar with Yuasa having replaced various alarm batteries in the past, and know these tend to be well regarded. The other brand I've heard of is Lucas who make car parts. The Lucas is a fair bit cheaper so wondering if it's likely to be as good or if I should just stick to Yuasa who I trust?

I also notice that Yuasa sell "flame retardant" equivalents? Does this mean the battery itself is less likely to catch fire in the event of a fault, or that the battery won't be affected by external flames? My initial thought is I probably needn't bother with the flame retardant version as if my house is on fire a relatively small UPS battery adding to the mix is probably of little concern, but I'm happy to pay the extra if it's worthwhile. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Not so sure lead acid is the way to go on UPS these days, however when it comes to batteries I used to be a Yuasa man through and through, now I am not so sure and been on Powersonic for a while and in the alarms they seem to be performing well compared to others however it could be just the luck of the draw, the jury is still out.

Power sonic …..they have been garbage ….the old orange power sonic were good , but these made in China ones are shocking , gone back to Yuasa …

Sponsored Links
at the moment think its even stevens for us, however like many things is knowing how good your starting from and where you end up and what they have been subjected to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back