Brass tap fittings sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have been fitting a mixer shower behind our bathroom wall. It has 4 1/2" tap female connectors for the hot and cold inlets and the shower head and hand held show. I bought 1/2" male fittings with a 15mm compression head on the other sides for all 4. I installed the male to female with PTFE tape and all was well for about an hour and now I have a very slight weep on both inlets. Am I correct in using PTFE tape for these fittings, or do I need a non hardening sealabt, or is there something else more suitable ? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'prefer to use Loctite 55 but PTFE tape will do the job as long as you have enough of it and it's applied correctly

Thanks I've ordered some loctite 55 already never had any issue with ptfe before just struggling this time seems fine then weeps cheers

Sponsored Links
I find gas PTFE does the job handsomely, it's a bit thicker so allows a bit more flexibility with amount used and still seals ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back